Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Then slide the boot on (tight!).
bkrantz
Crimp the connector.
bkrantz
First wire done.
bkrantz
In place. I need to get some plug wire holders.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 17 2021, 09:20 PM) *

Time to get out the bike tools again, this time a cable housing shear.

THey make a good clean cut. But you can't use them too much,they get dull. Nice collection. Road or MTB your preference?
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Nov 20 2021, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 17 2021, 09:20 PM) *

Time to get out the bike tools again, this time a cable housing shear.

THey make a good clean cut. But you can't use them too much,they get dull. Nice collection. Road or MTB your preference?

I prefer dirt, but variety is nice. And hoping for some snow soon.
bkrantz
I made up the other 3 plug wires today, and plugged everything together. This layout should work, but I want to add a couple of wire holders.
bkrantz
Next up: Fuel lines and components.
bkrantz
This is the pressure regulator, and the Dub Shop bracket. More cool stuff!
bkrantz
I don't need the auxiliary ports, so installed the plugs, with a bit of #3 sealant on the threads.
bkrantz
And then the barbed fittings for input (side) and return (bottom). These have O-rings and don't need any sealant.
bkrantz
I will mount this on the bracket for the original MPS.
bkrantz
Drilled some new holes, and mounted the bracket.
bkrantz
And then the regulator.
bkrantz
Now time for the fuel lines, starting with new grommets for the side shelf.
bkrantz
Grommets in place.
bkrantz
First, I tried the short hard-lines upside-down, since I moved the pump to the front. Not really a good fit.
bkrantz
The "correct" way looks better.
bkrantz
Once upon a time, I had a label on the supply line coming out of the tunnel, but that got lost. So I tried running the fuel pump, using a jumper between the number III tab on the FI system plug on the relay board and ground (ignition on).
bkrantz
That worked, with a subtle but distinct air pressure build up in the supply line coming from the pump.
bkrantz
I also started to mock up the lines on the engine, connecting supply to left injector rail, left rail to right rail, and right rail to pressure regulator.
bkrantz
Running fuel lines in the engine compartment, to connect the hard lines in the tunnel with those through the shelf.
bkrantz
I decided to double-clamp all the connections--probably overkill, but who wants fuel loose in the engine compartment?

I also used some plastic tubing to protect the lines from the retaining clamp edges.
bkrantz
At the top side, connecting the pressure regulator with the return line.
bkrantz
Last bit today: sealing the fittings in the injector rails with some #3, careful not to get any on the internal ends.
bkrantz
Fittings in place, both sides.
Puebloswatcop
Bob, this is such inspirational work. Thanks for sharing. It's getting so close now, I can almost hear that engine purrrring.
bkrantz
Thanks. I suppose I can get a soundtrack file if I have to. driving.gif
jamlip
I have Dub Shop injection and spark kit on my 912 (modified original 616 motor) and it's top notch. Mario is a great guy, too.

IPB Image

(taken before I tidied-up the harness on the left)

IPB Image

Loving your work. Great thread!
rgalla9146

I'm slowly going through this thread from the start and marveling at the work you've done.
How did I miss this ? Page by page it gets better and better.
I feel I should apologize for failing to compliment you for all the varied, complicated and time consuming jobs you've done....with no complaint or regret.
Unbelievable !
Bob, you've set the bar.
Well done.

iankarr
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 24 2021, 09:49 AM) *

I'm slowly going through this thread from the start and marveling at the work you've done.
I feel I should apologize for failing to compliment you for all the varied, complicated and time consuming jobs you've done....with no complaint or regret.
Unbelievable !
Bob, you've set the bar.
Well done.

agree.gif ∆This.
bkrantz
QUOTE(jamlip @ Nov 23 2021, 09:32 PM) *

I have Dub Shop injection and spark kit on my 912 (modified original 616 motor) and it's top notch. Mario is a great guy, too.

IPB Image

(taken before I tidied-up the harness on the left)

IPB Image

Loving your work. Great thread!

Very nice, and cool car. I do like 912s!
bkrantz
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 24 2021, 06:49 AM) *

Unbelievable !
Bob, you've set the bar.
Well done.

Thanks. The timing of this project has been good for me, in semi-retirement and with all the COVID stuff. And having the funds to indulge my ideas.

As for complaining, check with my wife.
bkrantz
QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 24 2021, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 24 2021, 09:49 AM) *

Unbelievable !
Bob, you've set the bar.
Well done.

agree.gif ∆This.

Thanks, Ian. Your videos really set the standard, and have been both helpful and inspirational at key times.
bkrantz
Any guess what this place is? Hint: not far from London bridge.
bkrantz
Here it is from the back.

Answer: California Motor Sports, in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Home of the Porsche transaxle rebuild. Mine needed a bunch of replacement parts, including a new intermediate plate. They CNC machine these onsite.
bkrantz
Here's my like-new box, strapped into my son's GTI for the trip to Tucson. Next week I will get it home, and get on with installation.
Puebloswatcop
Awesome!!!! I sure wish Arizona was a bit closer for me...
bkrantz
Forgot to include a picture of the bridge.
bkrantz
Arrived home with the transaxle. I unpacked some of the things in the car, but will have to finish the job tomorrow. I want to get the engine and trans in the car before my son comes to visit at the end of December. Time to get busy.
bkrantz
OK, getting back to work.

My first chore was to get the car off the wheeled dolly. I figure that the total weight, and balance, with the drive train installed might be too much.
bkrantz
Two floor jacks under the back, lifting on the engine mount brackets.
bkrantz
And my engine jack, aka motorcycle lift, on the suspension cross member in front.
bkrantz
And then down onto my trusty Esco jack stands. I don't expect the car to be on wheels again until its ready for the road.
bkrantz
Time to get as much finished on the engine, since the access is easier now.

First, new spark plugs.
bkrantz
Plugs checked and gapped, and installed. I took the intakes off to remove the paper towels I had blocking the head ports (and then install the intakes with gaskets).
bkrantz
I also got rubber boots for the plug connectors.
bkrantz
Installed. The holes for the rear plugs are near-perpendicular to the plug axis, so the boots sit even. The forward holes are more oblique, so the boots sit less even.
bkrantz
Fuel lines run and clamped, and the throttle bodies bolted on. I then ran all the cables for the EFI and ignition components. I need to lay out some brackets and retainers.
Cairo94507
Can't wait to see this in the car and running. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.