Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Although one prong is partly broken, once I got the plug inserted it seems to stay in place.
bkrantz
Then time for the plastic sheets, attached with butyl tape.
bkrantz
Tape around the perimeter, just inside the raised ridge.
bkrantz
I aligned the plastic sheet with all the door card retaining plug holes. Fit is a bit big, but when I pulled it taut, the perimeter holes did not line up.
bkrantz
Then I got out the retaining cups that came with the 914 Rubber door kit. These are black soft silicone.
bkrantz
Cups inserted.
bkrantz
That's when I discovered that these are not compatible with the stock retaining pins, since the black cups are too short. ARGH! More small parts to order.
bkrantz
Pivot to another task: inventing a new attachment for the 914 World grille badge. As delivered, the stud holes on the back of the badge do not fit the spacing of the holes in the grille. This is a prototype for a mounting adapter.
bkrantz
The adapter has 3 screws that do match the grille mesh. Why three? Why not?
bkrantz
I was going to attach the adapter bracket to the badge with screws, but they would protrude and keep the bracket from sitting flush on the grille, so let's try some epoxy.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 25 2022, 07:19 PM) *

That's when I discovered that these are not compatible with the stock retaining pins, since the black cups are too short. ARGH! More small parts to order.

Not sure the black cups are even needed???

I just went with the factory retaining pins (no cups) and the panels stayed on fine.
Cairo94507
Hi Bob - I just had my door panels off and then reinstalled with new 914Rubber soft silicone cups and door pins. My silicone cups are white. Installed with no problems. Your car is off the charts perfect. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 25 2022, 11:02 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 25 2022, 07:19 PM) *

Not sure the black cups are even needed???

I just went with the factory retaining pins (no cups) and the panels stayed on fine.

I think the cups are partly a water barrier. Anyway, when my next order arrives I should have all kinds of cups and pins.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 26 2022, 06:05 AM) *

Hi Bob - I just had my door panels off and then reinstalled with new 914Rubber soft silicone cups and door pins. My silicone cups are white. Installed with no problems. Your car is off the charts perfect. beerchug.gif

Thanks!

I think the original longer white cups are hard plastic. I can't find any that I removed.
bkrantz
I was all set to install my 914 World badge and discovered a major brain fart. When I tested the hardware for my new mounting I used an M4 bolt, but somehow that became M5, including the holes I drilled in my new adapter. But M5 bolts will not fill through the holes in the grille! headbang.gif
bkrantz
So that turned into plan B, with some M4 studs and JB weld. Try again tomorrow.
bkrantz
Then a small item on the list, some buttons on the seat belts to keep the buckles from dropping to the bottom when the belts are hanging.
bkrantz
Button in place on the left side. Just a simple press fit.
bkrantz
Button doing its job.
bkrantz
More little parts: targa arch ski rack hole plugs.
bkrantz
Installed--at least until I get a ski rack and head for the mountains.
Root_Werks
I completely forgot about those when my 914 went in for paint. They got painted over.

Looking good!
bkrantz
Then I started on something I did not plan for today. For almost 3 years of work, from wheels to jack stands to rotisserie to dolly to jack stands to wheels, the 914 has been sideways in my garage. I knew eventually it would go lengthwise, in front of my 911. Just for fun I started to move things around, including my workbench.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 26 2022, 09:45 PM) *

Button doing its job.

AS long as none of my freinds ever see you car, I'm good to go
bkrantz
By the time I was done playing, I had the 914 in its new home position. Now I need to fit all the rest of my stuff around it.

Anyway, it turned out to be another milestone day. cheer.gif
bkrantz
I know I have started a big job--but maybe I don't yet know how big. As I try out different locations for big components, I have this urge to completely empty my garage and start from scratch.
bkrantz
One option: tool chests along the side wall. Somebody stop me before I move everything again.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I bolted the badge to the grille.
bkrantz
Stylish, right?
bkrantz
Another part arrived: M5 square captive nut.
bkrantz
It went here on the driver's door, for the rear door pocket attachment bolt.
bkrantz
With that done, I ran the butyl tape around the door interior.
bkrantz
And then the plastic shielding.
bkrantz
OK, one more item crossed off the last(?) list.
FlacaProductions
I love following this thread - thanks for sharing. I have the 914R kit for the vapor barrier ready to go as well. I feel like I occasionally need/want to get in the door to do adjustments, etc - my question: is the plastic barrier somewhat removable after its stuck to the butyl or is that a one-time application that will tear the plastic when you go to pull it back?
bkrantz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 28 2022, 08:53 AM) *

I love following this thread - thanks for sharing. I have the 914R kit for the vapor barrier ready to go as well. I feel like I occasionally need/want to get in the door to do adjustments, etc - my question: is the plastic barrier somewhat removable after its stuck to the butyl or is that a one-time application that will tear the plastic when you go to pull it back?

Brian, I tested that and it seems like the plastic comes off moderately easy. That could change over time.
bkrantz
Not much time or progress to report today. I did stash more big stuff that I don't need soon in the house crawlspace, next to the garage.
bkrantz
A bit snug, but among other things it holds the rotisserie, engine stand, and hoist.
bkrantz
I did get delivery of some sheets of gator board. Its like foam core board but with plastic sheeting instead of paper. Stay tuned.
bkrantz
Here's my Megasquirt EFI and ignition control stuff, that needs some protection from other future stuff in the trunk.
bkrantz
My mockup still seems like a good idea, so I want to reproduce this with better material.
bkrantz
Cut down into separate panels.
bkrantz
And then duplicated with gator board.
bkrantz
I tried some 3M repair tape for initial assembly.
bkrantz
Looks like a cover.
bkrantz
And fits like a cover. I will trim to adjust the fit once the assembly is solid.
bkrantz
Then epoxy in all the joints and corners. Will check it again tomorrow.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 29 2022, 06:47 PM) *

My mockup still seems like a good idea, so I want to reproduce this with better material.

I like this version (Prime box...hehe) vs the gator board. biggrin.gif blink.gif aktion035.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 30 2022, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 29 2022, 06:47 PM) *

I like this version (Prime box...hehe) vs the gator board. biggrin.gif blink.gif aktion035.gif

Well, a fair amount of stuff in the 914 came from Amazon.
bkrantz
Some flat black paint along the edges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.