Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
I used 5/16" butyl tape I ordered through NAPA, which came in a store brand box.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 13 2022, 06:25 PM) *

Big day today! Car friends Chuck and Mike (Kansas 914) came over to help with some jobs that need extra hands (thanks, guys!).

First up, the windshield. Here we are checking the fit and adjusting spacers. Note that I tried to find Speed Yellow suction cups, but had to settle for Sunflower.

Gee Bob, Guess now you have to re-paint the car Sunflower so it matches the suction cup handles.... lol-2.gif
bkrantz
I took about 10 minutes to lay the butyl in the recess. At first, I put it about 1/8" back from the inner edge. When we started to lay the windshield in, I rolled the butyl inward to be even with the edge.

Also note the extra short bits of tape to mark the positions of the plastic clips.
bkrantz
With lots of hopeful thoughts we laid the glass in place, starting with the bottom edge on the rubber spacers. Our luck held, and we got it in centered and even.
bkrantz
This is the amount of butyl tape left over from the 15' roll, maybe 2 to 3'.
bkrantz
Upper left corner with the initial adhesion. Later the car went in the sun.
bkrantz
But before that, we mounted the trunk lid. That is a easy job for 3 people--not so easy for one.
bkrantz
After a few minutes of adjustment, the fit was pretty good, just a bit close to the edge of the engine lid. More about this later.
bkrantz
So then, time to actually drive the car, if only 30 ft. It started on the first crank, got in reverse, and backed out of the garage. You have to imagine this video with sound.
bkrantz
Almost complete 914 in the sun. The paint looks pretty good.
bkrantz
After a bit more than an hour in the summer sun, the butyl was definitely softer, and I pushed all around to get a full seal.
bkrantz
Another outside shot. I can't help it.
bkrantz
Back inside, I tried to shift the engine lid forward, but it rubbed against something when opening. So I removed the lid and found the point of contact at one of the pad retaining tabs.
bkrantz
I did a bit of impromptu metal work to bump the tab even with the rest of the firewall ridge. Now I need to touch up the paint here and where it rubbed on the inner edge of the engine lid.
bkrantz
More done.
930cabman
It moves, under it's own power cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
jaredmcginness
Amazing progress. Paint looks GREAT in the sun!
Cairo94507
Looks amazing and even more amazing in the sun. beerchug.gif
mb911
Looks fantastic great job. I believe you have one of my last mufflers as well. looks great.
autopro
Looks awesome out in the sun, that paint really shines. Oh and congrats on the test drive!
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. That might have been the shortest test drive ever.
bkrantz
I put the engine lid back on, and adjusted it to be as forward as possible.
bkrantz
Clearance between the engine and trunk lids is better.
bkrantz
I got out the trunk lid pin.
bkrantz
And did one more test in the latch, to make sure it will open.
bkrantz
First attempt, with the pin installed. Good news: it latches. Better news: it opens.

But the level of the closed lid is too high.
bkrantz
I took the pin off, and adjusted the exposed length to be shorter.
bkrantz
After two attempts, I have the height where I want it.
bkrantz
So then I tried putting the roof into the trunk with the lid on. It fits into the clips and rubber latches and looks good.
bkrantz
But...the lid will not close. ARGH!
bkrantz
The rubber latches are already as far down as the stock adjustment allows.
bkrantz
So I removed the latches, put the roof in, and the lid closes. The roof was sitting on the metal brackets that hold the latches, and the roof corners still had clearance above the tail light bodies.
bkrantz
That means the latches have to sit about 3/16" lower, as shown here.
FlacaProductions
Do you have the top pushed all the way forward into the white clips up front?
bkrantz
Trigger warning: purists might not want to look!

Step one: elongate the latch bolt holes.
bkrantz
Step 2: modify the brackets so there is clearance between the notch for the roof edge and the top of the brackets.
bkrantz
Here's my initial mod. I will neaten this up and make a couple of spot welds.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I got out my new PCA badge.
bkrantz
This has the same problem as the 914 World badge: the 5mm studs are too thick for the stock grill holes. And the stud spacing is not quite right.
bkrantz
So I did some drilling and filing, and then stuck some 4mm studs into the holes with JB weld.
Dion
Looking fantastic. Paint looks outstanding in the sunshine.
Glad it fired up for ya. Quite the journey.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Dion @ Jun 14 2022, 08:53 PM) *

Looking fantastic. Paint looks outstanding in the sunshine.
Glad it fired up for ya. Quite the journey.

Thanks, Dion. The color still does not look true on my screen, but that's not a real problem.
bkrantz
Before welding, I disconnected the battery, but first checked the clock: perfect after about 24 hours.
bkrantz
I also disconnected the Megasquirt brain.
bkrantz
Then I welded the new corners on both brackets. I used all the rags I had handy to protect paint and other surfaces from splatter. Also a good way to set lots of little fires.
bkrantz
Then some grinding followed by a flappy sanding wheel.
bkrantz
Primed (with a brush, since I figured I could get a final paint finish at least as good as it was).
bkrantz
And painted. Should be ready to reassemble tomorrow.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I mounted the modified grille badge.
bkrantz
Hardware below the grille.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.