Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Underside of floor all done.
bkrantz
I did find a couple of temporary screw holes from fitting the floor section. These will get welded tomorrow.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 23 2020, 08:32 PM) *

Simply amazing! That whiteboard is two years of work and you cranked through it without cutting corners in what... 9 months? cheer.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Thanks, Brent. I got started seriously in October, so I count 8 months. Of course, most of the big jobs are not listed here. I wonder if the owner will pay for my time. dry.gif

Anyway, the last photo of the list with all the metal work done!
jaredmcginness
White board is looking great!!! Fantastic work.
bkrantz
Thanks. Gotta wait for the next version.
bkrantz
Back to grinding today. My focus was inside the frunk.
bkrantz
Got the frunk finished (unless another weld is hiding somewhere).
bkrantz
And a quick weld and grind on the floor screw holes.
bkrantz
More grinding today. Got the left side of the inner floor done.
sixnotfour
I wonder if the owner will pay for my time.

Only with smiles per miles.. driving.gif driving-girl.gif shades.gif beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Finished the right side of the floor.
bkrantz
I also started making the next list.
bkrantz
Onto the trunk interior today. Grinding welds is getting old.
bkrantz
I also took care of the spot welds along the top of the right fender, in the trough.
bkrantz
The trunk is done.
bkrantz
The corners are a little ugly, since I had to build up the weld to close jagged seams.

Right side.
bkrantz
Left side.
bkrantz
I took care of all weld grinding (as least the ones I can reach) in the engine compartment today. Most of that was along the seam on the rear edge of the floor panel, where I duplicated the factory edge weld in addition to some plug welds.
Lilchopshop
I notice you’re using an electric die grinder with carbide burrs. How do you like this setup for grinding welds? I’ve been alternating between using a 4.5 inch angle grinder and a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel for grinding welds. The dremel tool is great for precise control, but it’s very slow. Been contemplating buying the same tools you show in your pictures.
Thanks,
bkrantz
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Jun 1 2020, 01:04 PM) *

I notice you’re using an electric die grinder with carbide burrs. How do you like this setup for grinding welds? I’ve been alternating between using a 4.5 inch angle grinder and a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel for grinding welds. The dremel tool is great for precise control, but it’s very slow. Been contemplating buying the same tools you show in your pictures.
Thanks,

I like it very much. It cuts quicker (beware!) and reaches into corners. Of course, it also leaves a more irregular surface unless I am VERY patient and careful.
bkrantz
I got through grinding all the remaining welds on the body today--job done!
bkrantz
And then a short interlude, to remove the grill from the engine lid. Note the custom location for the model and engine numbers. (The PO installed a reflector across the rear panel)
bkrantz
And now on to the final job before sending the car to the paint shop: doors.

Here are the good doors, including a donor for the left side.
bkrantz
Here's the original left door. When I peeked inside months ago, I found some wrinkly metal. So more bondo.
bkrantz
And the botched repair led to some rust along the bottom edge.
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 1 2020, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Jun 1 2020, 01:04 PM) *

Thanks,

I like it very much. It cuts quicker (beware!) and reaches into corners. Of course, it also leaves a more irregular surface unless I am VERY patient and careful.

Thank you. I ordered my electric die grinder and set of carbide burrs this morning. Hopefully they will lessen the chore of weld grinding a little bit. sad.gif
mbseto
Pferd makes a set of wheels called CC-GRIND for your angle grinder. For weld grinding, these things are pretty amazing. Turned a task I dread into one I can tolerate.
bkrantz
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jun 2 2020, 11:17 AM) *

Pferd makes a set of wheels called CC-GRIND for your angle grinder. For weld grinding, these things are pretty amazing. Turned a task I dread into one I can tolerate.

Thanks--looks interesting. When possible I use a flap disk (mostly 60 grit).
bkrantz
I got the right door stripped down today, removing the glass, frame and guides, the winding mechanism, and the lock. Amazing how little the bare door weighs.
bkrantz
This door has a bit of surface rust in the weatherstrip channel along the bottom, but nothing significant.
bkrantz
The only work to do is fixing the mirror holes. The PO had aftermarket mirrors (cheap Vitaloni copies). I need to weld the forward hole, and rescue the stock rear hole with internal nut. (And open up the other stock hole.)
bkrantz
BTW, here is the new list--and progress.
dereknlee
Looks good, great work. That electric die grinder looks pretty handy - as someone who doesn't have a compressor big enough to run air tools. Will have to look into that. Keep it up!

-Derek
bkrantz
I also have compressor limitations. And I bought the big electric die grinder after burning out multiple Dremel tools.
bkrantz
I got the left door stripped today. This is a donor door to replace the original, which has to much collision damage and rust.
bkrantz
This door has the internal collision beam. The original doors did not (October 1972 build date). BTW the beam adds about 14 lbs to the door shell, 35 lbs vs. 21 lbs.
bkrantz
The donor door also has a pretty thick undercoat layer. I assume this was not factory.
bkrantz
And this door has some rust along the bottom channel seam. Have to decide how to fix this.
bkrantz
An update on the list.
bbrock
All the doors I've seen had that undercoating. I think it was sprayed in as a sound deadener but don't quote me on that.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 3 2020, 10:03 PM) *

All the doors I've seen had that undercoating. I think it was sprayed in as a sound deadener but don't quote me on that.

Thanks. Either way, it stays.
bkrantz
I got back to working on the doors today. On the right (original) door that meant welding shut the hole the PO drilled for an aftermarket mirror, and then opening up the stock mirror hole and chasing the threads.
bkrantz
On the left (donor) door I have to replace some rusty sections of the weatherstrip channel flange along the lower edge. The worst spot is at the rear curve.
bkrantz
Rusted section cut out.
bkrantz
New metal welded in, and ground smooth and even.
bkrantz
Today, the hero tools were the Dremel with mini cutoff disk, and the die grinder with small ball bit.
bkrantz
Next up are two longer sections along the door bottom.
bkrantz
Another day in 914 restoration paradise.

Here's the door with the long rusty sections removed.
bkrantz
A close-up of one section.
bkrantz
I did realize that these sections no longer have any connection between the door skin and inner panel, so added some short weld beads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.