Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
All done, but...
bkrantz
Working with the the targa trim pad reminded me that I really want a new one. The center has a couple of cracks.
bkrantz
And the right end is pretty mangled.
bkrantz
A couple more jobs done.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 30 2022, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 29 2022, 03:28 PM) *

I agree 100% with @bkrantz . Having a comprehensive plan before you begin is very helpful. There always tends to be issues that pop-up along the way. The single biggest thing I would add is if you farm work out, make sure the shop is within visiting range so you can keep tight reins on the project and see the actual work they are doing. Photos do not really cut it. beerchug.gif

I was going to get it running and legal then start to tear it apart. Next thing you know it's sideways on a rotisserie.

Bob
How long was your lead to the starter?

Kevin

Thanks Bob!!!!!
Cairo94507
I can't imagine why Porsche felt they needed, what, 14 screws to hold the Targa pad in place? I think it was 7 on top and 7 underneath.... overkill. beerchug.gif

930cabman
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2022, 07:12 AM) *

I can't imagine why Porsche felt they needed, what, 14 screws to hold the Targa pad in place? I think it was 7 on top and 7 underneath.... overkill. beerchug.gif

Germans?? did they think it might fly away
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 1 2022, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2022, 07:12 AM) *

Germans?? did they think it might fly away

Also fun to install lots of small fasteners. smash.gif
Jeff_72
WOW. Been reading this thread for weeks. Cant believe the volume of help this has provided to so many. Clear pics and process minutia that most of us would (shouldn't have) glossed over. Beautiful car!

I cant even being to say how helpful this has been for me in my restomod process.

Thank you!

Absolutely nominate this thread for all time step by step resto guide.

first.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Jeff_72 @ Nov 2 2022, 07:52 AM) *

WOW. Been reading this thread for weeks. Cant believe the volume of help this has provided to so many. Clear pics and process minutia that most of us would (shouldn't have) glossed over. Beautiful car!

I cant even being to say how helpful this has been for me in my restomod process.

Thank you!

Absolutely nominate this thread for all time step by step resto guide.

first.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

Thanks, Jeff. Glad to be of help. And like I said before, documenting and sharing has been therapeutic.
bkrantz
Another minor task today.

First I went for a drive to check out a friend's new restoration project, an early 911 Targa. While driving I think I noticed that the brakes feel a little better, but I still can't get them to lock up at any speed.

When I got home I got out my Empi synchronizer tool.
bkrantz
While the engine was warm, I checked the airflow in the dual ITBs. The right side was a tiny bit higher, and I closed the idle just a bit.
bkrantz
Sorry, life keeps distracting me from garage time.

I did have a chance to organize things a bit. These 4 boxes now contain all my 914 spares, not including some oil filters. Quite a bit smaller than the dozens of large and small boxes I had before, plus stuff spread around the garage.

Did I overdo it?
TX914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 10 2022, 08:12 PM) *

Did I overdo it?

Not a chance smile.gif
autopro
4 boxes? That's nothing, I think you need more for your next build.
bkrantz
QUOTE(autopro @ Nov 12 2022, 09:03 AM) *

Don't get me in trouble. Anyway, the next project car might belong to my son. Could be a MGB.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 12 2022, 08:00 PM) *

Don't get me in trouble. Anyway, the next project car might belong to my son. Could be a MGB.

Good for you. Does he have the victim? Will you be using the welding skills you perfected recently?
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 13 2022, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 12 2022, 08:00 PM) *

Good for you. Does he have the victim? Will you be using the welding skills you perfected recently?

Sorry I did not respond last month. The boy has to finish his PhD (May), get started in his first job (June), find a place and move. And then start thinking about car projects.
bkrantz
OK, time to get started on winter projects.

I recently got Quickjack 7000TLX. I chose the longer X model in order to reach the jack points on my wife's MB E400 Wagon. In the past weeks I have used it to change wheels and tires on the E400, my 991, and my 3/4 ton Suburban. It worked great for al of these, and way easier than using a floor jack.

But I struck out with my 914, at least trying to use the stock jack points. See the new thread I created the shows the misfit.

And given that I want to drop the engine, the Quickjacks seem too wide and will not allow the front cross bar to clear.
bkrantz
So, back to using jack stands. This is as high as I can get with my floor jack without getting creative (the same height when I installed the engine the first time).
bkrantz
Here's part of the reason for dropping the engine: more than a few drips of oil, coming from the front of the case.
bkrantz
Frist listing of the things to get done before spring driving weather. Some of these will involve sending things off.
cassmcentee
It's hard for me to fathom that this is the same car that you started your post with!
Was wonderful to see it "Live and in Person"
Kudos Bob
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 12 2022, 09:31 PM) *

Here's part of the reason for dropping the engine: more than a few drips of oil, coming from the front of the case.

Keep us posted with your search/fix of the oil leak at the front of your new engine. they can be pesky to repair
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 13 2022, 04:57 AM) *

Keep us posted with your search/fix of the oil leak at the front of your new engine. they can be pesky to repair

Will do. I have a silly hope that the leak will be obvious when I get the engine out, and remove the blower housing. But realistically, I may just replace or reseal everything.
iankarr
Looking awesome. Congrats!

Have you tried turning the quickjack sideways? If the lifting frames won’t fit between the tires, you may be able to run them underneath the car. I’ve seen people do that, but I’d call BendPak and confirm its safe first.
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 13 2022, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 13 2022, 04:57 AM) *

Will do. I have a silly hope that the leak will be obvious when I get the engine out, and remove the blower housing. But realistically, I may just replace or reseal everything.

Hoping the culprit will show it's face quickly/easily. Crank seal/oil cooler or seal/soft plugs/oil pump gasket/oil pressure sender or threads and perhaps other possible locations.
Puebloswatcop
Bob, sorry you're having to deal with such an issue. Hope you find the culprit quickly and that it's an easy fix.
bkrantz
I got started today dropping the engine. Exactly a year ago I put the engine in.

Here's a view of the engine bottom, with oil dripping off most surfaces.
bkrantz
Starting on the top, I decided to remove the ITBs and associated plumping.
bkrantz
ITBs and cables out.
bkrantz
Working on getting all the EFI cables disconnected.
bkrantz
Wires, cables, fuel lines, and other things cleared from the top.
bkrantz
Starting on the bottom: muffler out.
bkrantz
And then the shift rod.
raynekat
Ugh....sorry you are having to go thru this.
Hoping it is simple fix.
nivekdodge
Wow Bob, this is a bummer.

Kevin
bkrantz
Thanks for the sympathy. But I think my wife is secretly happy since otherwise I might have started another car. Anyway, I will make the best of it.
bkrantz
More prep for dropping the engine.

Heat exchangers out. (You can see evidence of oil dripping onto the left one.)
bkrantz
A view of the right cylinder head. Leaking pushrod seals?
bkrantz
Half-shafts disconnected and CVs bagged.
bkrantz
Everything underneath ready for the engine drop. Maybe tomorrow?
bkrantz
I got out my trusty 914 motor-trans support.
bkrantz
And my HF motorcycle lift.
bkrantz
And after removing the cross-bar bolts and the trans mount bolts, I started to lower.
bkrantz
Of course I found one forgotten connection: the cable to the electronic coil. Fortunately, I spotted that before it took any tension.
bkrantz
And the oil dipstick, which was the highest component at that point.
bkrantz
Anyway, I got the motor and trans fully lowered. But the rear sheet metal is about 3/4" too tall to clear the rear valance.
bkrantz
Time to elevate the jack on one side.
bkrantz
Success! (and also the 6000th post in this thread)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.