Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
I decided to take a 914 break and change the oil in my truck.
bkrantz
Its time to prepare for the engine and trunk lids. To finish up in the engine compartment, I need to remove the pressure gauge I had spliced into the fuel lines. I consistently saw 40-45 psi with the engine running, so don't need this anymore (fingers crossed).
bkrantz
It still shows some pressure, even after sitting for at least a week.
bkrantz
Next step: duct hoses for the forced air supply to the exhaust heat exchangers.
bkrantz
Left side installed.
bkrantz
And the right side. I think that is the last thing to install in the engine compartment.
bkrantz
Net step: painting the side areas that sit below the mini-grilles. Start the masking.
bkrantz
Both sides painted with flat black.
bkrantz
While staring at the new EFI stuff, and waiting for paint to dry between coats, I decided to try mocking up a cover. Pretty close for a first effort.
TX914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 2 2022, 08:54 PM) *

And the right side. I think that is the last thing to install in the engine compartment.

Relay board cover? smile.gif

It would be really slick if your EFI cover looked similar.
bkrantz
QUOTE(TX914 @ May 3 2022, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 2 2022, 08:54 PM) *

Relay board cover? smile.gif

It would be really slick if your EFI cover looked similar.

Yo got me. Time to dig out the relay cover. I have another idea for the EFI cover.
bkrantz
Result of painting, left side.
bkrantz
Right side.
autopro
Very clean, great job as always!
nivekdodge
Bob,
I've been following every night. Mine is painted and I'm starting re-assembly. I didn't want to take it this far apart but you know... If I start on page 76 would there be any steps that you would change to undo to mount other things? I'm just looking for an order.

Kevin
autopro
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ May 4 2022, 07:11 PM) *

Bob,
I've been following every night. Mine is painted and I'm starting re-assembly. I didn't want to take it this far apart but you know... If I start on page 76 would there be any steps that you would change to undo to mount other things? I'm just looking for an order.

Kevin

I will second this request, I just finished painting my car and I am using your thread as a guide for the assembly. Thank you very much for posting you don't know how helpful it is.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(autopro @ May 5 2022, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ May 4 2022, 07:11 PM) *

Bob,

Kevin

I will second this request, I just finished painting my car and I am using your thread as a guide for the assembly. Thank you very much for posting you don't know how helpful it is.

I would look at something and say, "I don't want to mask that" and then it was "well all that's left is the suspension. So yes thanks a TON

bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything major. I might suggest waiting to install carpeting until as much as possible, even engine start-up, is done and confirmed working.
bkrantz
Since I was caught forgetting the really board cover, I dug this out--repro from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
Instead of the stock post through a hole in the cover, I will find an elastic strap to hold it down. Meanwhile, I used a zip-tie.
bkrantz
Before working on the engine lid, I figured I would get the trunk hinges onto the nasty torsion bars.

Step 1: some tape to hold the hinge all the way up.
bkrantz
Step 2: take the pulley wheel off the hinge stud.
bkrantz
Step 3: pull up the weatherstripping for maximum access the the "slot"
bkrantz
Step 4: with the retaining brackets loosened, pry the torsion bar as far as possible to the opposite side.
bkrantz
Step 5: use a 10 mm deep socket and ratchet to level the torsion bar end slightly forward...
bkrantz
...and Step 6: Slip the torsion bar tool (this one is from 914 Rubber) onto the bar end, with the notch opening facing the hinge.
bkrantz
Step 7: lever the bar end forward and around the stud, and then ease off pressure so it rests against the stud.
bkrantz
Step 8: while holding your breath, go to the other side and lever the torsion bar back towards the working side.
bkrantz
Step 9: the bar end should now be more securely against the stud. Start breathing again.
bkrantz
Step 10: use the tool to lever the bar end down enough to slip the pulley wheel onto the stud, and then ease the bar end into the groove. WATCH YOUR FINGERS!
bkrantz
Do the other side, and then Step 11: tighten the torsion rod brackets.
bkrantz
Onto the engine lid. This has been in my hall closet since October, 2020.
bkrantz
The grilles have also been stashed away. These were powder-coated. Some new hardware and rubber, too.
bkrantz
More torsion bars! But these are just babies.
bkrantz
These go through holes in the cross members, and then slip unto hooks on the hinges.
bkrantz
Like this.
bkrantz
Then rubber stops that limit and soften hinge movement.
bkrantz
They go into holes in the hinges like this.
bkrantz
Next, I installed the side grilles. Sorting through the hardware, I found I am short a bunch of speed nuts. The letter kit I bought last year did not come with any and I forgot to add them.
bkrantz
Welting piece cut for the side grille.
bkrantz
Welting installed on grille.
bkrantz
This is how I pulled the trunk hinge back for clearance to install the grille.
bkrantz
Left side grille in place.
bkrantz
And then speed nuts on the inside.
bkrantz
And I got the right side installed before dinner.
NS914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 19 2022, 10:44 PM) *

Happy to help. The headlights can be a challenge, but you should find some good info around here.

Hey Bob,
I have the Oil Temp Sensor and wire sorted now....thank you and the headlights now go up and down like the should.

I am running the fuel line to the carbs tonight and will install the fuel pump and inline filters tomorrow...that and attach the battery box in its permanent position up front. hope you are having a nice weekend, Grant
NS914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 2 2022, 10:52 PM) *

Left side installed.

Another awesome picture Bob....I was a bit lost how to mount the fan and then clued in....I had a long week...I will add the additional hose to go to the other side of the car.

Could you tell me what that hose is and where you picked it up. I am having challenge finding hose for the heaters. Best, Grant
bkrantz
QUOTE(NS914 @ May 6 2022, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 2 2022, 10:52 PM) *

Left side installed.

Another awesome picture Bob....I was a bit lost how to mount the fan and then clued in....I had a long week...I will add the additional hose to go to the other side of the car.

Could you tell me what that hose is and where you picked it up. I am having challenge finding hose for the heaters. Best, Grant

Grant, I got both hoses in a kit from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
Some more bits on the engine lid. This is the plastic retainer for the baby torsion bars.
bkrantz
Latch hook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.