Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
Ottomotion

[/quote]I might go nuclear and use JB Weld.
[/quote]

If it is cracked, every time you go to tighten it, it will want to open up and the goo solutions will be compromised. I think JB Weld might be the exception....
Fingers crossed!

BTW this is an outstanding thread regardless of the outcome. You are to be commended for your efforts and contributions to the 914 community. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Indeed. beerchug.gif
930cabman
[quote name='Ottomotion' date='Jul 6 2023, 09:05 PM' post='3087857']
[/quote]I might go nuclear and use JB Weld.
[/quote]

If it is cracked, every time you go to tighten it, it will want to open up and the goo solutions will be compromised. I think JB Weld might be the exception....
Fingers crossed!

BTW this is an outstanding thread regardless of the outcome. You are to be commended for your efforts and contributions to the 914 community. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

I would consider JB or another 2 part epoxy with minimal torque.

Or an aluminum tapered plug
bkrantz
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jul 7 2023, 06:53 AM) *

Thanks for the lead. This might work but the space behind the motor mount is limited.
bkrantz
Her we go again. One thing I found that might have contributed to my problems getting a good seal: even through I tried to clean all the oil out of the galley, after sitting for a few day enough drained down to flow out.
bkrantz
Using a mirror to see how much oil pooled in the bottom of the galley, I can imagine how it contaminated the thread sealants I tried after previous adventures with the plug, from the inside.

This time I cleaned it out again, and waited long enough (I hope) to make sure no more oil draining down.
bkrantz
Fedex brought this today. Same basic diameter and thread pitch as the stock plug, but brass. This should have thermal expansion closer to the aluminum case. Obvisouly, the brass plug is taller.
bkrantz
Good news: it does thread into the hole.
bkrantz
Bad news: with a moderate amount of torque, this is as far as it screws in.
bkrantz
A reminder, the stock plug screws in flush to clear the motor mount bracket.
bkrantz
So I tried this, and cut off as much of the plug top as I could and still left enough of the hex to (barely) seat the Allen wrench.
bkrantz
A test fit, and without torquing too hard I got it almost flush. I did grind the end of my 10mm Allen wrench to get some sharp corners.
bkrantz
And a new goo to try, hard-setting Permatex. I rubbed a bit of this into the case hole threads, and then coated the plug threads.
bkrantz
I was able to screw the plug in almost flush. I did not want to risk slipping the wrench and ruining the plug.
bkrantz
Just enough clearance for the motor mount.

I bolted in the cross bar, and will wait at least 48 hours before I try to run the engine.
bkrantz
Still letting my latest plug attempt cure. I decided to replace the taco plate seals since there seems to be some weeping there.
bkrantz
All the parts, with new O-ring, gasket, and copper washers.
bkrantz
All set, with a dab of sealant under the bolt heads.
bkrantz
After giving the Permatex 72 hours to set, I ran the engine for about 20 minutes, enough to get it close to hot. No visible leaks from the brass plug.
bkrantz
The taco plate is dry, too. But I need to let it cool down overnight to be more sure.
Cairo94507
Praying you solved that troubling issue. beerchug.gif
Ottomotion
Such great documentation!
Fingers crossed. Looks really promising....
bkrantz
Well, I took a quick look this morning...
bkrantz
No oil drips!
bkrantz
And as best I can see, the new plug is also dry.

I don't want to jinx things, so I will not even think about claiming success. But I do feel good enough to put everything back together and take the car for a drive.
raynekat
Looking good Bob. Wow, that is some oil leak adventure you are on.

I've been away from the site and just catching up with your work tonight.
We are moving next month....bye, bye Oregon.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
cassmcentee
piratenanner.gif
Puebloswatcop
Bob, you are the picture of persistance and awesomeness....Great job.
beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Now don't jinx me. I know the 914 gods are sneaky and fickle. I MAY feel more confident after a couple of drives.
bkrantz
Back home, and a bit of 914 time. Still no oil drops so I put everything back together, starting with all the blower ducts on the left side.
bkrantz
Left side lower sheet metal.
bkrantz
Shift rod. And checked everything.
bkrantz
Back on the wheels--finally. Tomorrow I should have time for a drive.
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
Awesome, persistence pays off, hope you have solved the issue.
Nice not to have dripping on the floor or on the HE right??

Phil
bkrantz
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 19 2023, 08:16 AM) *

Awesome, persistence pays off, hope you have solved the issue.
Nice not to have dripping on the floor or on the HE right??

Phil

Yes! (crosses fingers, knocks on wood, and lights a candle)
bkrantz
Only a quick drive today, but long enough and time for a quick glamour shot.
930cabman
Lookin good
jesse7flying
You've done a great job buddy. Congrats!
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. One more good sign today, after the engine cooled overnight: no drips!

Finally, I can get on to playing with the engine tune again.
Lilchopshop
That's gotta feel good!

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
NS914
Hi Bob, I have likely sent a similar message in the past but its worth repeating! I cannot tell you how thankful I am that people like you and especially you take the time and effort to detail your builds in the manner you have.

Your attention to detail, kind explanations to us in the community and truly your photos of every step are incredible and so helpful. I have just taken my motor out for what I hope is the last time...will adjust valves, timing as well if I find a way to build a proper test stand) or even a not so proper one...LOL!

I have been sprinkling more demanding jobs with less demanding and or fun ones...so buying lots of parts and more recently seals from 914 Rubber as well.

All this to say, thank you so much for such a well documented build. Awesome!!!

Best Regards, Grant
NS914
Bob, what is that wires coming out of the tin in the foreground with the blue connector on it? I should know these things but...LOL. thanks for the underside pics to re Clutch, Speedo routing.
930cabman
I nominate Bob for best 914 restoration of the year cheer.gif cheer.gif

if there is such a thing
Ottomotion
I second!

Excellent work!

You will need to bring a full mirror array to place under the car when parked so people can appreciate the level of detail under the car as well as from above. Superb!
nivekdodge
Bob
beautiful work. I use your post for direction all the time and now i'm confused as I see something and can't get back to it. .Doesn't take much. Oil temp. While looking for something else , I thought i saw you make a t fitting for the pressure and temp senders both on top of the motor. But now there's that one on the taco plate. What's up?

Kevin
bkrantz
QUOTE(NS914 @ Jul 21 2023, 07:52 AM) *

Hi Bob, I have likely sent a similar message in the past but its worth repeating! I cannot tell you how thankful I am that people like you and especially you take the time and effort to detail your builds in the manner you have.

Your attention to detail, kind explanations to us in the community and truly your photos of every step are incredible and so helpful. I have just taken my motor out for what I hope is the last time...will adjust valves, timing as well if I find a way to build a proper test stand) or even a not so proper one...LOL!

I have been sprinkling more demanding jobs with less demanding and or fun ones...so buying lots of parts and more recently seals from 914 Rubber as well.

All this to say, thank you so much for such a well documented build. Awesome!!!

Best Regards, Grant

Grant, I appreciate your kind words. I am very glad to be part of this community, and to be able to share my story. That has helped me as well, especially during some episodes that have been frustrating.

Anyway, we 914 addicts have to stick together.
bkrantz
QUOTE(NS914 @ Jul 21 2023, 08:06 AM) *

Bob, what is that wires coming out of the tin in the foreground with the blue connector on it? I should know these things but...LOL. thanks for the underside pics to re Clutch, Speedo routing.

Do you mean this one (circled)? If so, that is the adapter cable I made to connect the stock oil pressure wire, with female spade connector (for the idiot light) to the VDO sender, with loop connector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.