Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
euro911
Just got around to reading all 65 pages of your amazing project, Bob. Fantastic job so far !!! first.gif

Subscribed to see the finishing touches come about popcorn[1].gif

Question ... what is this tool called? confused24.gif

IPB Image
73-914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 7 2021, 11:47 PM) *

Just got around to reading all 65 pages of your amazing project, Bob. Fantastic job so far !!! first.gif

IPB Image

Air needle scaler
bkrantz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 7 2021, 09:47 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks, Mark!

Interesting tool. Could be useful.
bkrantz
More shiny new bolts arrived today, from Belmetric.
bkrantz
Now the tie rods have bolts.
bkrantz
And more pretty bolts now for the underside, just to make the purists happy.
bkrantz
I then tried to torque the ball joint retainer rings. I used a floor jack to keep the socket from slipping, but still could not get the big torque required (25 map or 180 ft-lbs). Any suggestions?
bkrantz
Following on from testing electric motors yesterday, I started cleaning crud, overspray, and undercoating.
bkrantz
Heater blower components.
bkrantz
And the wiper system, before cleaning off 50 year old grease.
bkrantz
And after.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 8 2021, 05:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I then tried to torque the ball joint retainer rings. I used a floor jack to keep the socket from slipping, but still could not get the big torque required (25 map or 180 ft-lbs). Any suggestions?

That's the same method I used.
Struggled with it, but got it to work and tighten up the ball joints some how.
bkrantz
More prep on the wipers. I found one broken wire.
bkrantz
Soldered, and I treated the fabric insulation and seals where the wires enter the motor housing with 3M liquid rubber.
bkrantz
Wiper gear installed, from the top.
bkrantz
And the bottom.
bkrantz
Getting started on the headlights. These are in the same state when I took the car apart. Into the acetone bucket!
bkrantz
The motors need cleaning up, too, with PO undercoating and messed up wiring.
bkrantz
And getting started on the fresh air stuff--also with undercoating and overspray.
djway
Have a swear jar handy when you put that box in......
wonkipop
have you got a screen for fan/vent box?
good idea (later cars) - helps keep leaf muck out.

iankarr
Looking great as usual. I'm working on the same stuff here. Did the headlight buckets today and plan on tackling the motors this week. Any advice or wires I shouldn't cross wink.gif?

@djway is right about the airbox install. I learned a few tricks which will hopefully save you a few pennies in the swear jar...

https://youtu.be/Uhs6pedBOXM
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Jan 10 2021, 08:32 PM) *

Have a swear jar handy when you put that box in......

I already have one working (see later posts).
bkrantz
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 10 2021, 09:03 PM) *

have you got a screen for fan/vent box?
good idea (later cars) - helps keep leaf muck out.

Thanks--I got one with the new gaskets.
bkrantz
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 10 2021, 10:29 PM) *

Looking great as usual. I'm working on the same stuff here. Did the headlight buckets today and plan on tackling the motors this week. Any advice or wires I shouldn't cross wink.gif?

@djway is right about the airbox install. I learned a few tricks which will hopefully save you a few pennies in the swear jar...

https://youtu.be/Uhs6pedBOXM

Thanks, Ian. I like your method--will give that a try.
bkrantz
More progress on the fresh air box. Disassembly.
bkrantz
And then the tedious, PIA removal of undercoating.

I know I have ranted about this before, but WTF was the PO thinking? I am not a fan of legal restriction, but I would like to outlaw cheap undercoat spray. OK, rant over.

So far, GoofOff seems like the best solvent. It does eventually remove the undercoating (with lots of rubbing) and (almost) does not react with the plastic.
bkrantz
I needed a break, and also to take care of things that will be blocked by the air box. That includes the grommet for the 3 heater cables. This was also a bit of a pain.
bkrantz
Enough annoying work for today. Instead I got together all the parts for the heat blower.
bkrantz
Much more fun to put clean and shiny parts together.
bkrantz
And mount it in the engine compartment.
bkrantz
I just need one of these for the connection. (borrowed photo)
bkrantz
Still working on multiple components at the same time. Making progress with stripping overspray, undercoating, and (unfortunately) the original paint from the headlight brackets.
bkrantz
And progress on cleaning the blower section of the fresh air box. I got most of the undercoating off, and then tackled the fossilized duct tape that the PO used to keep the power plug in place.
bkrantz
This was not coming off with any solvent, at least that would not erode the plastic housing, so I tried shaving, using several new razor blades and lots of patience.
bkrantz
Mostly successful, with just a little damage.
bkrantz
After wiping with GoofOff, which reacts slightly with the plastic, the shine cam back.
bkrantz
Next, I opened up the blower section so I could replace the baffle rings. Somehow the PO got undercoating in here (see baffle on the left).
bkrantz
The baffles are easy to take apart.
bkrantz
New rings, part of the 914 Rubber kit.
bkrantz
Since I was getting ahead of myself with the fresh air box, since I need to install the dash control levers and cables first, and that means I need to install the dash. And before doing that, I need to replace the top padded vinyl and the face vinyl. Note what seems to be a buckle along the lower edge.
bkrantz
Another view of the lower dash edge. This should be straight, right?
kroelofsen
So much progress... Much of what you do is a very good reference for me later this year... Keep posting with many pictures! piratenanner.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Jan 13 2021, 10:01 AM) *

So much progress... Much of what you do is a very good reference for me later this year... Keep posting with many pictures! piratenanner.gif

I agree - great reference.

Has anyone (admins) considered this for the "Classics" thread?
bkrantz
QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Jan 13 2021, 10:01 AM) *

Will do!
bkrantz
Got the fresh air box back together. The little circle clips are a PIA. And, yes, I did break off one of the plastic tabs.
bkrantz
I also cleaned up the control levers. Quite a bit of dirt and some corrosion.
bkrantz
Cleaned up.
bkrantz
I used some fine emery paper on the contacts.
raynekat
Check this fresh air fan switch for continuity on all 3 speeds before installing. I didn't so didn't have all the fan speeds once installed and had to remove the switch again with all the associated cuss words to sort the issue.

Looking good.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.