Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
A bit OT, but since I am on a short sabbatical, I want to share the reason. We are with our daughter and SIL to welcome their new daughter (and future 914 fan).
Dion
Hey, now that’s a legit reason for work stoppage!
Congrats!!! birthday3.gif beerchug.gif
djway
beerchug.gif
Make a 914 Mobile for her crib
ndfrigi
Congratulations!
tygaboy
cheer.gif Congrats! How wonderful...
Cairo94507
Congratulations Grandpa! Cute baby too. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Way to go papa
cheer.gif
Puebloswatcop
Congrats to you and your family. cheer.gif birthday3.gif
76-914
Great reason to take a break! piratenanner.gif
bkrantz
Thanks, everyone. Some things are even more fun than 914s.
iankarr
Congrats! So beautiful….
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 27 2022, 09:42 PM) *

Thanks, everyone. Some things are even more fun than 914s.

Is she your first one? If so, the fun is just beginning, they are the best on many many levels. Congrats again papa
Cairo94507
Hey Bob - Here are a couple pictures of the exhaust finisher and the way the two nuts are welded onto the tip.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Where's the update Dude? I need my fix! ha
bkrantz
Finally back home. It was an epic visit in many ways. But a bit disappointed that the 914 elves did not get much done while I was gone.
bkrantz
And no tool elves set up my new chest. This one is 72" wide by 22" deep, and replaces a classic Crafstman only 42" wide--and very full.
bkrantz
So I spent a few hours, and got most stuff moved over. Somehow, its almost full.
bkrantz
I brought home a few things from Tucson. One is a 22" square piece of 0.40 aluminum plate, with machined surfaces. I got this for when I need a very flat reference surface. The source was the "cut-offs" room at a professional metal supplier. I paid about $40, priced by the pound.
bkrantz
I also got a new master cylinder pressure warning switch. At least this one seems to work, tested with my multi-meter. I can install this and bleed the brakes (again).
raynekat
Whew....he's back.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 29 2022, 08:04 PM) *

Whew....he's back.

yup finally he’s back!
1st time his thread with days or weeks with no update. I do like this thread with so much details!
This car should be on the road soon!
Cairo94507
I have been eagerly awaiting updates. But a grandkid comes first. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Sorry for the wait, guys. Getting my wife away from the new grand baby was tough. Then I found out she committed us to return. In July. In Tucson. Yikes!
bkrantz
OK, back to work. After confirming that the new MC pressure warning switch works, I decided to install it.
bkrantz
Here's the new MC with the original i.e. 50 year old switch installed.

I did find out that when I removed the old switch, the MC does not leak fluid. Maybe I will not have to bleed the system again! cheer.gif
bkrantz
So I swapped the new switch in, after confirming again with my multi-meter that it works. But when I connected the leads and turned on the ignition, the damned warning light was still flashing. ARRRGGGHHH. headbang.gif
bkrantz
After falling around with the 3 switches (original two connection, new two connection, and new single connection) I decided to get out the original MC and learn more.

I unscrewed the cap for the warning system bore, and pulled out the piston.
bkrantz
As I understand the function, as long as pressure for the front and rear circuits is equal, the piston remains centered, and the plunger on the switch can be fully extended, poking into the smallest diameter segment on the piston (with some red marker). If the pressure is unequal, e.g. if the front or rear circuit loses fluid, the piston shifts and forces the plunger into the switch, making the connection.
bkrantz
With the piston back in the old MC, I installed the new switch and it works.

Back on the car, I confirmed that both front and rear brakes work. But as best as I can tell, the warning piston is not centered, so as soon as I screw the new switch in, it pushes in the plunger and turns on the light.

More figuring to do.
Puebloswatcop
whew,

Glad you're back. I was turning a very dark shade of blue from holding my breath with anticipation. Welcome home and congrats again on the new grand baby....
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Mar 31 2022, 07:30 PM) *

whew,

Glad you're back. I was turning a very dark shade of blue from holding my breath with anticipation. Welcome home and congrats again on the new grand baby....

Thanks. Gotta love the next generation. Hope your O2 is recovering.
bkrantz
I tried again to get the brake MC warning system to reset.

I used a thin, sharp probe to see if I could manually shift the warning piston--no luck.

I opened first a front, and then a rear caliper bleeder, and stomped on the brake pedal--no luck.

Running out of options before I have to replace the (new) MC.
bkrantz
OK, time to dig deeper into the MC (without removing it). First, remove brake fluid from the reservoir.
bkrantz
Next, remove the cap that covers the secondary bore for the pressure warning piston.
bkrantz
Next, remove the warning piston. Note this shows the piston with its end cap removed. But the piston hits the front suspension cross member.
bkrantz
I loosed the MC retaining nuts enough to tilt it down so the piston cleared the cross bar.

Here is (from left to right):
cylinder end cap
tiny retaining C-clip
forward spring perch
rear spring perch
warning piston

Notice something missing?
bkrantz
Here's the piston from my old MC (top) compared to the new one, which is missing the spring. Probably not a good thing.
bkrantz
Comparing old and new MC.
bkrantz
Measuring the depth of the warning switch location, from the mounting face on the outside to the bore wall inside.
bkrantz
On the old MC it measures about 1.04"
bkrantz
On the new one, it measures about 1.00"

This means the clearance for the switch plunger is about .04" less, so the plunger is depressed a bit and the switch closed, even with the piston in "neutral". Not good part 2.

Lesson, be wary of after-market, no brand MC. Time for a better one.
76-914
Couldn't you just cut off the difference from the end of the switch's plunger? beerchug.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 2 2022, 08:52 PM) *

ATE....or nothing.
That's my motto.
Ha
Glad you're figuring it all out before you hit the road and your brakes possibly fail.
Scary!
Cairo94507
I don't know why some master cylinders have the reset switch where the plug is and some don't. Mine tripped when we replaced a front brake line that was seeping and it took me a second to remember the reset switch. As soon as I touched the switch the brake light went off. I was lucky. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 2 2022, 10:46 PM) *

Couldn't you just cut off the difference from the end of the switch's plunger? beerchug.gif

After I figured this all out, I cut shorten the plunger. But that's not very OCD. biggrin.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 2 2022, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 2 2022, 08:52 PM) *

ATE....or nothing.
That's my motto.
Ha
Glad you're figuring it all out before you hit the road and your brakes possibly fail.
Scary!

Yup. ATE MC ordered. Along with all the calipers and rear pressure valve rebuilt by PMB, and all new hard and soft lines, that should give me a quality and reliable brake system.
bkrantz
OK, enough brake fun for a while. How about some door window fun instead?

The last time I tried this, I was unhappy with the after-market vent window rubber. It did not have a groove for the metal tab on the triangular piece that sits at the base of the glass, and connects the front vertical channel to the door body. So I ordered a pair of factory rubber pieces.
bkrantz
Here's the triangular piece from below, inserted into the horizontal section of the vent window rubber. I had to cut a slit in the very thin rubber there.
bkrantz
And from above. The metal tab fits nicely into a recess in the rubber.
bkrantz
Vent window installed into the new rubber, along with a new channel cap on top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.