Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
Puebloswatcop
Well Bob,

Certainly looks like you are getting down to the short list......can't wait, but almost hate to see it finished, your build has certainly been an inspiration.....
Cairo94507
This has been such an enjoyable build to watch. The skills and expertise are just amazing. smilie_pokal.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 20 2022, 06:59 AM) *

This has been such an enjoyable build to watch. The skills and expertise are just amazing. smilie_pokal.gif

Agreed, has anyone read the entire thread? (all 5600 posts)Much great information here and thanks to Bob for documenting.

Now, how is the latest addition to the family doing? must be crawling by now
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. And I'm not quitting yet. The "build" might be done, but the actual tuning is just beginning.
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 20 2022, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 20 2022, 06:59 AM) *

Agreed, has anyone read the entire thread? (all 5600 posts)Much great information here and thanks to Bob for documenting.

Now, how is the latest addition to the family doing? must be crawling by now

No crawling yet (just going on 4 months). We will get to see her in a couple of weeks. I got her one of these.
bkrantz
Well, here we are again on jack stands. I hope I can resolve the soft brake pedal quickly.
bkrantz
I want to try moving the pistons in each caliper, so I made a couple of blocks from 3/8" plywood.
bkrantz
With some nifty handles.
bkrantz
These give the pistons about 1/8" space to move.

But then I re-learned that piston movement in the rear calipers is limited by the parking brake adjustment.

I also relearned that the soft pedal also reflects the rear pad clearance. With the adjustment very loose, the pedal was very soft.
bkrantz
So I re-installed the brake pads, and went through the clearance adjustment again, setting both sides to .004". That made the brake pedal feel nice and firm.

Tomorrow, I will mess with the other side, and then maybe the fronts, before another round of bleeding.
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

Sounds like a solution to the soft pedal has been found!

Looks SO nice!

driving.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 19 2022, 06:26 PM) *

Anyway, the mirror is stuck on for now. The position still seems OK, at least as far as I can tell sitting in the car in the garage.

I wish I would have mounted my mirror just a tad lower. I put it as high as possible before visors would touch. I'm only 5'6" so mounting my mirror even an inch lower would give more a straight back look, less angle.

I had the same issue with the sticker, it mostly contacts the windshield, but has a little air in the center I couldn't work out. Long as it doesn't fall off I guess.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 21 2022, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 19 2022, 06:26 PM) *

Anyway, the mirror is stuck on for now. The position still seems OK, at least as far as I can tell sitting in the car in the garage.

I wish I would have mounted my mirror just a tad lower. I put it as high as possible before visors would touch. I'm only 5'6" so mounting my mirror even an inch lower would give more a straight back look, less angle.

I had the same issue with the sticker, it mostly contacts the windshield, but has a little air in the center I couldn't work out. Long as it doesn't fall off I guess.

Hey Root, glad you brought the mirror situation up, I am only 5'4" so I made a note to look at mounting mine lower when the time comes....Thanks
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 20 2022, 06:32 PM) *

So I re-installed the brake pads, and went through the clearance adjustment again, setting both sides to .004". That made the brake pedal feel nice and firm.

Tomorrow, I will mess with the other side, and then maybe the fronts, before another round of bleeding.

Hey Bob where did you get the pass through wrench to do your brake adjustment? I really need one of these in my tool collection......
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jun 21 2022, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 20 2022, 06:32 PM) *

Hey Bob where did you get the pass through wrench to do your brake adjustment? I really need one of these in my tool collection......

That's a Facom brand wrench. I bought a few when I lived in France in the 80s. I think there are US distributors.
bkrantz
I adjusted the left rear caliper clearance, and then switched to the front. Here are the spacer blocks in the front caliper after taking out the pads.
bkrantz
After about 10 pedal strokes, the pistons closed on the spacers, moving about 1/4".
bkrantz
I then pushed the pistons back in.
bkrantz
I then put the pads and hardware back it, and did the other side. After that I did another round of bleeding. The pedal now feels very firm.
bkrantz
Before I put the wheels back on, I installed the center caps. Like many others, I made my own tool from a joint end of PVC pipe.
bkrantz
The big end is a perfect fit on the outside flange.
bkrantz
And the small end matches the internal flanges.
bkrantz
With just a bit of filing and sanding, it fits into the wheel center opening.
bkrantz
First center cap installed--no marks on the cap.
bkrantz
But then a small problem: I could not get the front left wheel to seat on the disk hub.
bkrantz
Turns out the center cap ID is not big enough to clear the ears on the hub dust cap. And the cap on the left has bigger ears than the dust cap on the right (where the center cap clears fine).
bkrantz
I dug out my angle grinder and took just a skim off the ears.
bkrantz
Now the cap fits over the ears.
bkrantz
OK, with the brake pedal firm, and the wheels back on (and torqued), there is no reason not to try driving the car. Not a test drive on the road yet, but...
bkrantz
How about a quick drive around the neighborhood?
bkrantz
I went up and down the hill twice, anreven got into second gear. Seems to run pretty good, but not much bite in the brake pads yet.
bkrantz
And back in the garage.
FlacaProductions
This is by far my favorite active thread - tons of great info here. Care to share size details on the PVC reducer "tool"?
930cabman
May I nominate "Rebuilding Inside-out" for an all time classic thread.

Great to see her our in the sunshine
bkrantz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 22 2022, 07:44 AM) *

This is by far my favorite active thread - tons of great info here. Care to share size details on the PVC reducer "tool"?

Thanks.

I got lucky and had a short piece of 2" Schedule 40 PVC conduit. The fat end is where each length of conduit inserts into the next.
bkrantz
If I want to drive this thing on the road I have to register it. So I stopped by my county assessor office and paid the fees (including a "late fee" for not registering it when I bought it) and got standard plates. At least the number ends in 4.

In Colorado, I can also get original "year of manufacture" plates, for me 1973, and have them officially assigned to the car.
bkrantz
To mount the plates, I will have to shorten some M4.8 screws so that do not scratch the bumper. And perhaps some sort of security screw.
Morph914
Congrats on the first drive! An amazing feat, the car looks fantastic! driving.gif pray.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 22 2022, 06:36 PM) *

If I want to drive this thing on the road I have to register it. So I stopped by my county assessor office and paid the fees (including a "late fee" for not registering it when I bought it) and got standard plates. At least the number ends in 4.

In Colorado, I can also get original "year of manufacture" plates, for me 1973, and have them officially assigned to the car.

Yep, Colorado sure knows how to bleed you for extra money....Late fees for a car you weren't driving ......
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jun 23 2022, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 22 2022, 06:36 PM) *

Yep, Colorado sure knows how to bleed you for extra money....Late fees for a car you weren't driving ......

Yeah, they claim car fees are not a property tax, but they charge us an amount based on the assessed value, and apply the fees whether the car is used on the road or not.
bkrantz
Still feeling paranoid about mounting the rear plate with little clearance, so I made some rubber pads behind the screw holes, and cut some screws down to about 1/4" long.
bkrantz
Rear plate on.
bkrantz
Front plate on. The clearance behind the bracket is bigger up front, but I still cut the screw lengths down to about 1/2".
bkrantz
Now I need to mount my fire extinguisher someplace. I have one in every car, and especially want one in my 914. So far, I like this location best. Any other ideas?
raynekat
When you auto-crossing this car?
I mean that's the most important thing at this point, eh?
Ha

Car looks great....too great. tongue.gif
Cairo94507
I love your car; is it possible to fabricate a bracket to attach the fire extinguisher to the bottom front of the passenger seat? beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 23 2022, 08:34 PM) *

When you auto-crossing this car?
I mean that's the most important thing at this point, eh?
Ha

Car looks great....too great. tongue.gif

Um, when's the next indoor autocross on carpet with Nerf cones?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2022, 06:26 AM) *

I love your car; is it possible to fabricate a bracket to attach the fire extinguisher to the bottom front of the passenger seat? beerchug.gif

Check out below.
bkrantz
I decided to try this position, as most out of the way, protected for the trigger, and in reach of the driver. I thought about creating a bracket to bolt to the seat rails or bottom, and might try that someday.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I will try screwing the bracket into a plywood block that I will glue to the floor. I figure this is smarter than screwing directing into the floor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.