Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 13 2022, 08:06 PM) *

While under the car, I noticed a couple of oil spots.

How many of us do not have the drips?
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 13 2022, 08:09 PM) *

Not what I want to see. mad.gif

It looks like a leak somewhere on the front. could be the oil filter mount, pressure spring cap, or oil pump.

This will have to wait until winter. From the beginning, I have expected to drop the engine to sort things out after the initial running.

if you are lucky as you drive it more the drips might go away.

recommissioned mine after 16 years standing and initially back on the road i had a leak from the front of the engine. i thought oh no - front seal.

after about 1-2 months of good driving getting it nice and hot for extended periods it stopped.

fingers crossed. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Thanks for the leak optimism, guys. Like I said, I have a plan to drop the engine over the long winter here. I think I can ignore it until then.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Aug 15 2022, 08:11 AM) *

Hey Bob, sorry to see the oil leak issue, hope it is an easy fix. In your opinion, are the speed bleeders worth the money? It seems that it makes bleeding the brakes a 1 man job...Just wanting your opinion...Thanks

Yes, it turns the usual pedal-pumping method into a one man job (I think). In the past I have tried both gravity bleeding and pressure bleeding, both of which can also be done solo. Once on the road again, I will see how much difference it made.
bkrantz
I was poking around underneath my car again, and I noticed the side seals had pulled away from the sheet metal.
bkrantz
I know people have done different things to keep the rubber in place. I happened to have this clip on my bench.
bkrantz
This might work. And could look neater if I removed the levers.
bkrantz
Another minor problem: the heater lever will not stay open (to the rear). When driving, it keeps flipping forward.
bkrantz
So I increased the "slack" in the control cables for the heater valves.
TX914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 16 2022, 08:54 PM) *

This might work. And could look neater if I removed the levers.

I will admit to using a couple of those also... works well. smile.gif
bkrantz
I decided to fit the rain hats, for the ITB air filters. These are from 914 Rubber, and substantial plastic (but no holes).
bkrantz
Left side is easy.
bkrantz
Got to use my new nut driver. This lives in the glove box.
bkrantz
But the right side hat hits the upper trunk torsion bar--by at least about an inch.
bkrantz
I cut out a section for clearance.
bkrantz
Note that the cut is not equal, since the torsion bar does not run "straight across" the car.
bkrantz
Better!
bkrantz
Then I messed with the engine sheet metal rubber surround, that does not like to stay in place. One problem: the corners are not neatly mitered.
bkrantz
Better.
bkrantz
Now for the secret clips.
bkrantz
I put one at each end of each rubber section, and removed the wire handles.
bkrantz
I wonder what these might be good for.
bkrantz
Wow, it's been more than a month. I have done a few 914 things in that time, and posted o some short threads. That included trying to get more effective action from the brakes, some miscellaneous tinkering, and just driving. I forgot how much fun driving a 914 can be, especially with my massive 125 hp.

And another local cars and coffee. We had to do without our annual Labor Day car show, so the Sept C&C had a People's Choice award, and my car finished second.
bkrantz
Anyway, I got back to work today, trying to clear the final few lists.

First, I adjusted the fog lights. I intend to use these as DRLs, and so I aimed them a bit higher. Note that these have my replacement LED bulbs installed.
bkrantz
Speaking of lights, a friend pointed out that my reverse lights did not work. Sure enough, with the key and lights on, and the trans in R, no reverse lights in back.
bkrantz
I pulled the connectors from the trans switch and jumped them.
bkrantz
With the key on, the reverse lights work now. Must be a bad switch.
bkrantz
To address my brake issue, I ordered a set of Texture pads, with original style street compound. I initially installed Poterfield R4-S pads, a performance pad that might need more heat to work well.
bkrantz
So, take the Porterfield pads out of the front calipers...
bkrantz
And replace with Textar pads, which are quite a bit thinner.
bkrantz
The rear pads are about the same thickness.
bkrantz
But they need to have one hole enlarged for the retaining pin.
bkrantz
A few minutes of drill press action.
bkrantz
And the new pads are ready to bed and try out.
bkrantz
I did not take any photos, but I also adjusted the front wheel bearings. Both sides had loosened up just a bit.

At least I could cross one thing off the list. I figure I will get to some of these over the winter.
Puebloswatcop
Curious why the front pads are so much thinner??? Hate to see all the little things on your list, but makes me happy to keep watching your post.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Sep 12 2022, 06:18 PM) *

Curious why the front pads are so much thinner??? Hate to see all the little things on your list, but makes me happy to keep watching your post.

Not sure, Howard. I think some of the part numbers for 914-4 front pads are also used for 911 rear pads. In any case, I do not expect to wear them out too quickly.
bkrantz
I removed the reverse switch from the transaxle, along with the actuating pin. Lube does leak from the small pin hole, but very slowly.
bkrantz
Here's the pin, installed in the transaxle switch port. I confirmed that putting the trans in reverse did push the pin outward.
bkrantz
Then I did a bunch of measuring. I figured out that the pin action was about 0.02" too short to actuate the switch.
bkrantz
A simple fix: I removed the thick washer/spacer from the switch, and replaced it with some aviation gasket sealer. That moved the switch inward against the pin.
bkrantz
Success! When the gear shift is in reverse, the lights come on. Another item off the list.
bkrantz
I did a first drive on the Textar pads today, first with some easy miles and braking, and then cursing with some light brake dragging. After that, I went through some repeated hard braking to start bedding in the pads.

They feel like they have a bit more grab, but I will have to drive more to confirm.
bkrantz
Sorry for the absence. sad.gif Life got busy with lots of non-914 things.

Anyway, to get going on progress again, I took the car back to the paint shop. When I picked it up (2 years ago!) they promised to touch up and polish the paint when I got done.

When I got home, I decided to take advantage of the empty garage space, and sort through all the piles, bags, and boxes of parts. These came off the shelves.
bkrantz
Plus these on my cart.

Once I make an inventory, I will separate the spares I want to keep, and then list all the stuff that might be useful to others (for sale or free). Stay tuned.
Cairo94507
Going without your thread was like what I imagine quitting heroin would be like. av-943.gif Glad to see a posting and looking forward to pictures once she returns from paint touch-up and polish. beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 22 2022, 08:05 PM) *

Anyway, to get going on progress again, I took the car back to the paint shop. When I picked it up (2 years ago!) they promised to touch up and polish the paint when I got done.

When I got home, I decided to take advantage of the empty garage space, and sort through all the piles, bags, and boxes of parts. These came off the shelves.

Busy with things like your new granddaughter? Hate to say it but she will probably be growing like a weed, but far cuter I am sure
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 23 2022, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 22 2022, 08:05 PM) *

Busy with things like your new granddaughter? Hate to say it but she will probably be growing like a weed, but far cuter I am sure

Busy from a distance, but we get to visit soon. I got a picture recently with her Porsche PJs on.
bkrantz
I sorted through about half the pile today, mostly engine parts. I will have an inventory and Fore Sale list up soon.

I did find the box of stuff that came from the interior. That's 39 cents and a cheap 10mm wrench!
bkrantz
Mission accomplished! 3 shelves of 914 stuff down to 1-1/2, and separated into stuff to keep and stuff to divest. Now I need to figure out some fair values for the decent stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.