Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 1 2022, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 1 2022, 08:25 PM) *

And then I spent a half-hour with this fussy little bastard: the spring that holds the lid down.

av-943.gif I know exactly what you are talking about. But seriously, only a half hour? You must be a natural.

That interior is drooley.gif

Brent, maybe it was longer than that. I do know I got good at bolting and unbolting the door pocket. I also remembered a few more cuss words.
bkrantz
QUOTE(autopro @ Jun 2 2022, 09:36 AM) *

Interior looks incredible, job well done. I really like the way the colors work together aktion035.gif

Thanks, Pedro. When I was thinking about exterior color, I also had this interior color scheme in mind--but no idea if it would look really good.
bkrantz
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 2 2022, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jun 2 2022, 03:56 PM) *

Absolutely beautiful Bob. And hey i learned something I had no idea about and that is that there is supposed to be a spring on that door pocket cover. Thanks for sharing, guess now I will be forced to track down one of those buggers...lol beerchug.gif

Same. I hate when that happens!

Sorry guys! I guess we are all enablers and co-dependents.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 2 2022, 04:19 PM) *

Hey Bob- I do not have that pocket lid stop. I hope you don't mind I am going to use that picture to post a WTB to see if I can source one for my car. beerchug.gif

I don't mind--good luck.
bkrantz
I got back to my initial rough home-style alignment, now focused on getting the front and rear toe close to spec. First step is laying out a pair of parallel strings, equally distant from the car on both sides.
bkrantz
Lots of trial and error, measure and adjust, to get side-to-side measurements equal, but not front to rear, since the rear track is wider, while keeping the strings parallel.
bkrantz
At that point, I measured the distance from the leading and trailing points on each wheel rim to the string, and subtracted the difference to get the initial toe (in mm). You can see I have toe out on 3 wheels (especially both fronts) and a bit on the left rear.
bkrantz
Next, time to start making corrections.
bkrantz
I got the front toe set. Pretty easy: loosen the clamps on the tie-rods, twist to adjust toe.
bkrantz
Setting the rear toe is more work, or at least muscle. After loosening the outer pivot mounting, I was able to man-handle the wheel to twist the entire thing and change the toe. It took several attempts to loosen, twist, tighten, and measure.
bkrantz
Here's the best I can do with string and rulers: 2.5 mm toe-in front, and 1.0 mm toe-in rear. That should roughly match the spec settings.
bkrantz
Then I removed the front wheels to get access to tighten the clamps on the tie-rods. Seems so easy to remove the lightweight 914 wheels!
bkrantz
Then I checked the camber again. Everything looked OK except the left front, so I fixed that.
bkrantz
That's what I ended with for camber. I have no easy way to check front caster, so that will wait for the alignment shop (where-ever that is).
bkrantz
I then checked the rear tire-fender clearance. The right got better and looks fine, but the left got tighter--a bit too tight.
bkrantz
Here's my approach to ease the fender out a bit: gently lower the car onto a strip of 1/2" plywood propped against the tire. I did that progressively a few times while shifting the plywood around.
bkrantz
Much better.
bkrantz
Even closer! The only thing I must get done before I can test drive is actually installing the windshield.
bkrantz
I think I have everything (including some brush-on butyl primer). I just need some more hands.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 3 2022, 06:53 PM) *

I think I have everything (including some brush-on butyl primer). I just need some more hands.

Gee Bob, if I wasn't all the way in Texas I would love to lend you a pair of hands to do the windshield install. Car is really coming together. It won't be long and the video posts of the first drive will show up here....
bkrantz
Windshield installation, Step 1: clean the channel with adhesive remover.
bkrantz
Step 2a: mask the channel.
bkrantz
Step 2b: paint the channel with butyl primer.
bkrantz
Step 3: clean the glass, especially the edge that will contact the butyl.
nivekdodge
You have started it, correct? Does the dynamat work or does everyone do it because, everyone does it?
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jun 4 2022, 08:28 PM) *

You have started it, correct? Does the dynamat work or does everyone do it because, everyone does it?

@nivekdodge yes it works great, adds a little weight but definitely improves road noise and for me the best improvement was the doors. They went from tin can to super solid, I have a two 6.5 speakers and a 8 inch subwoofer on top of msds headers and no weird vibrations or tons of noise or reverb
nivekdodge
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Jun 5 2022, 01:19 AM) *

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jun 4 2022, 08:28 PM) *

@nivekdodge yes it works great, adds a little weight but definitely improves road noise and for me the best improvement was the doors. They went from tin can to super solid, I have a two 6.5 speakers and a 8 inch subwoofer on top of msds headers and no weird vibrations or tons of noise or reverb

Thanks, you never hear if it works or not

Kevin
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jun 4 2022, 09:28 PM) *

Do you mean starting the engine? So far only in the garage, so I can't swear that my firewall system works . On the inside, starting from the painted firewall I have Dynamat, Dynaliner, and perlon carpet. On the engine side I have a layer of foil backed with insulation. I do know that I can thump on the firewall and the sound does not resonate though.
bkrantz
Here's the windshield after painting the butyl primer with the masking tape removed.
bkrantz
Next, I fitted the lower (inside) windshield seal.
bkrantz
I notched the ends so they tuck under the bottoms of the A-pillar pads.
bkrantz
Like this. Note that I had to remove this strip during the installation of the windshield trim clips.
bkrantz
Next I got out the windshield trim kit. This contains the 3 sections of the trim plus all the small pieces.
bkrantz
The small pieces include another batch of (aftermarket) plastic retaining clips, rubber spacers, and 3 aluminum trim junctions. Note that I plan to use the factory clips since I have read they are more robust and reliable.
bkrantz
I also dry-fit the trim. As others have said, this stuff is VERY flexible. Thats good since I had to do some gentle bending on all 3 pieces.
bkrantz
Step 4: OK, time for the retaining clips. I had one spare of the factory clips.
bkrantz
My method: first dip the prongs into some soapy water.
bkrantz
Then use a 5mm 1/4" socket on an extension and soft mallet to tap the prongs into the hole.
bkrantz
And then seat the plastic stud with a pin punch. Easy, right?
bkrantz
But my first attempt failed. I hit the clip too hard (and probably unevenly) trying to seat the prongs, and the clip split. After that, I had no spares.
bkrantz
The next attempt worked. I learned to initially tap just hard enough to get the prongs into the hole, then a slightly harder tap to seat the body of the clip against the sheet metal--and then stop. In order to set the plastic pin, I tapped the punch just a little harder with a stiff mallet.
bkrantz
My luck held for all 19 clips.
bkrantz
I then taped up around the recess to protect the paint from the edges of the glass, and from accidental touches of the butyl rope.

Now I am ready for 914 friends.
Cairo94507
Wish I was near to lend a hand. beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
autopro
Same here
bkrantz
Thanks, guys--I really appreciate it. I have some expert help lined up for Thursday.
bkrantz
I took a break from 914 work today, to build a new shop table.
bkrantz
Not fancy and probably overbuilt, but I figure heavy is a good thing.
bkrantz
I topped it with a layer of replaceable masonite. Here it is as part of my new garage layout. Still more to do.
bkrantz
And for now I moved out my old 2' x 8' workbench. I built this 30 years ago in the garage of the first house I owned, and dragged it from Texas to Alaska to Texas and then Colorado.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.