Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Turns out all the old shims I took out of the motor are .014", so I need to order a .012" (.30 or .32 mm) shim.
bkrantz
Back to the sound system. I will add a noise filter on the power supply line. By the way, the Clarion unit requires both a power supply, that I rigged through a "dummy" defroster switch, and an illumination supply, that I connected to the output of fuse 5, which has power only when the lights are switched on. I tapped fuse 12 for the main power supply, which is hot always. The defroster switch should prevent the audio system from draining the battery when not in use.
bkrantz
I had a slight detour in setting up the audio system and center console. After I screwed the rear console bracket to the top of the tunnel, I ran my bore scope inside to make sure the screw tip was not too close to anything else. That led me to discover that the heater lever light wire was fouling on the shift tube. For better access, I removed the console and then the gear shift lever. That led me to discover that the bottom of the shift assembly was making contact with the clutch tube when the lever was full to the right. You can see where the yellow has worn away, revealing the original red paint.

I did some gentle prying on the clutch tube to bend it to the left. After that the gear shift lever can go full right (against the stop in the shift housing) without the base touching the clutch tube.
bkrantz
And then we got back to wiring the audio system. And by we, I mean my son, who is visiting for a few days--and is much more flexible than me.
bkrantz
Another add on: foam speaker baffles on the back side of the pods. They may not do much, but cost only $9.
bkrantz
By quitting time we had all the power and ground wires connected, and tested.
bkrantz
Big day for the audio system. We got all the wires connected, including the speakers. The brown wire here is the temporary antenna.
bkrantz
Control box connected.
bkrantz
And...success! I connected the battery, pulled the window defogger switch, and turned on the power at the control box, and got static on AM. But after switching first to weather band and then FM, we heard multiple stations clearly. We then plugged my iPhone 7 into the USB cable, and after a minute the Clarion connected. I could then stream music and other audio, and also operate streaming from the Clarion control box.
bkrantz
I then finished making a thing, and covered my support for the control box with a scrap of black vinyl.
bkrantz
I need to cut the shine on the vinyl a bit to match the recovered arm rest box.
bkrantz
I then un-made a thing. When the upholstery shop recovered the shift panel, they put a new layer of vinyl over the old. That double layer made the holes for the gear shift boot and the heater lever guide too small. So I removed the new vinyl expecting to simply cut the old vinyl away from the holes.
bkrantz
But then I found a bigger problem, with some ancient decay in the 5 mm plywood.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 15 2021, 08:23 PM) *

And then we got back to wiring the audio system. And by we, I mean my son, who is visiting for a few days--and is much more flexible than me.

Thought about using the twins to hook up my electrical under my dash.
They might have been 2 at the time.
Guess the headlight switch might have started the engine and the radio would have activated the passenger ejection seat.
tongue.gif

You might skate with your son doing it.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 16 2021, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 15 2021, 08:23 PM) *

Thought about using the twins to hook up my electrical under my dash.
They might have been 2 at the time.
Guess the headlight switch might have started the engine and the radio would have activated the passenger ejection seat.
tongue.gif

You might skate with you son doing it.

Well, I am trusting my unibody integrity to his welding skills, so if he gets the audio wiring mixed up I will have other things to worry about.
bkrantz
I had time today to make a new wood panel for the gear shift surround. I used 5mm MDF to replace the original 5mm plywood.
bkrantz
We finished the audio system today. I put foam baffles on the back of the speakers to reduce stray echos.
bkrantz
Left speaker installed for real.
bkrantz
And right.
bkrantz
We tried to make all the wiring tidy.
bkrantz
Here you can see the hidden audio system. biggrin.gif
bkrantz
But open the arm rest...
bkrantz
Turn it on, and hear radio (weather, in this shot).
bkrantz
Or plug in an iPhone, and stream music.

The remaining task is a real (but hidden) antenna.
raynekat
Oh the horror....a decent sound system.
Why didn't I think of that????
Looks great Bob, like everything else you've done with this car.
bkrantz
Thanks, Doug. At least one part of my car makes (good) noise by itself. BTW, my son was arguing for a sub woofer, but I will wait and see. Could be space under the dash where the normal radio goes, in a custom box pointing down.

With some luck I can start focusing on the engine soon. Today, I got the invitation to enter our annual Durango Labor Day car show. Last fall I expected to have the 914 running in time. Maybe next year?
bkrantz
Back home from a few days away--and no 914 play.

While I was gone, some new crankshaft shims arrived.
bkrantz
One of these should do the job. (Turned out the 0.30mm is the 0.012 shim I needed.)
bkrantz
New shim in place--that makes the proper 3.
bkrantz
New rear seal.
bkrantz
Seal in place. It was a snug but not super tight fit.
bkrantz
New flywheel bolts and plate. This might be over-kill but some sources suggest not re-using bolts that have been torqued before.
bkrantz
Flywheel mounted and bolts torqued.
bkrantz
Then I got out the parts for the oil pressure valves, and new seals.
bkrantz
I got to use my new triple-square bits.
bkrantz
Small valve installed, with a 14 mm triple-square.
bkrantz
And back to my home-made tool for the larger valve retaining plug.
bkrantz
Installed.
bkrantz
And then the strainer. I re-used the paper ring gaskets, but new got new crush rings.
bkrantz
Strainer and cover in place. The blue tape is a reminder that the drain plug is only finger tight.
krazykonrad
Any tips on getting the rear main seal in place? That's coming up on my list of things to do.

Thanks!
bkrantz
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Aug 28 2021, 04:51 PM) *

Any tips on getting the rear main seal in place? That's coming up on my list of things to do.

Thanks!

I was able to push mine into place--a strong push but I did not need to use a hammer or other impact until the last couple of mm. By then it was in straight.
bkrantz
Parts for the oil temp sensor, including the taco plate.
bkrantz
Another temporary installation.
bkrantz
Then the oil pump stuff, plus new gaskets and sealing nuts.
bkrantz
I had previously measured everything, but decided to check again.
bkrantz
Here's what I measured, and the calculated clearances.
bkrantz
To get a bit more clearance, I used the thicker black gasket, which should add about 0.010" when compressed.
bkrantz
Gasket in place, with a thin smear of sealant.
bkrantz
Pump in place, with a very thin smear of sealant on the face, and assembly lube on the gears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.