Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
raynekat
Man, if I had one of those "dry ice" detailers close by, I'd give him a shot at cleaning up the backsides of these wheels.
Hard to believe that stuff is on there so hard.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 12 2022, 08:18 PM) *

Man, if I had one of those "dry ice" detailers close by, I'd give him a shot at cleaning up the backsides of these wheels.
Hard to believe that stuff is on there so hard.

Nasty stuff, and harder than brass (I tested a brass bristle brush in a small spot).

Where I live, fancy stuff like dry ice is never close by. wacko.gif
raynekat
Gotcha.
The backsides of your wheels are now more than presentable. wink.gif
Good job there.
bkrantz
Home from the tire shop.
76-914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 12 2022, 06:55 PM) *

For the outer adjuster, I have the perfect wrench: a Facom socket wrench. This has an open end to allow the Allen wrench through.

I need one of those Facom wrench's because.........well just because. drooley.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 14 2022, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 12 2022, 06:55 PM) *

For the outer adjuster, I have the perfect wrench: a Facom socket wrench. This has an open end to allow the Allen wrench through.

I need one of those Facom wrench's because.........well just because. drooley.gif

Here's one source:
https://www.grainger.com/category/tools/soc...et-end-wrenches

I bought 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm when I lived in France in the 80s. That covers 99% of Porsche hardware, but now I want to fill in the rest--like you said just because.
bkrantz
I did one more round of brake bleeding, and saw at least one good sized air bubble come out. I think I am done with bleeding until I can road test.
bkrantz
Then I decided to fix something that has been bothering me. On the rear bumper, the fit is not equal from side to side. Here is the left that looks good, with the rubber tight against the body and the chrome showing about 5/8 inch gap.
bkrantz
But on the right side, the rubber is off the body work, and the gap along the chrome is about an inch--enough to see behind the bumper.
bkrantz
I took the bumper off, and removed the dog bone. It is about 7/8 inch thick.
bkrantz
I trimmed about 1/4 inch from each insert tube.
bkrantz
And also about 1/4 inch from the rubber.
bkrantz
Skinny dog bone ready for installation.
bkrantz
With the bumper back on, the rubber now sits tight to the bodywork, and the gap along the chrome is better.
bkrantz
While fiddling with mine stuff, I also did not like the tight clearance between the tail pipe and valance. I can wiggle the engine and exhaust and make slight contact.
bkrantz
I removed the muffler bracket and lengthened the holes about 1/8 inch.
bkrantz
That's enough to lower the muffler and tail pipe--no more contact.
bkrantz
Almost cleared the list on the right side of the board.
bkrantz
I finally remembered to check to see if I cured the flashing brake system warning. I turned the key on and...no. mad.gif
bkrantz
When I installed the replacement 19 mm master cylinder, I included the original 2-lead switch. I think (???) I tested this before putting it in, but now the switch is stuck "on", and connects the leads and grounds the circuit. Of course, this type of switch has no external reset button.

So now I have to replace the switch and bleed the brake system again. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
bkrantz
I dug out the switch that cam with the new MC, but this one seems to have the opposite problem: no matter the position of the plunger, the switch does not ground the single lead. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
bkrantz
Enough of that. Let's get back to starting the engine and EFI tune. Step 1 is to calibrate the engine advance relative to the EFI setting.
bkrantz
With the engine at fast idle, and the EFI set to constant 10° advance, here's what I measured at the blower fan pulley: 22°.

To adjust that, the TunerStudio software has an adjustment (Tooth Angle). A bit of trial and error, and...
bkrantz
Success. The EFI and engine are both at 10° advance.
bkrantz
Readings with a rough fast idle. The advance is set back to an initial table so it can vary with rpm. And the "coolant" temp (actually the cylinder head temp, with a new sensor on the right head in the stock location.
bkrantz
For an initial idle speed setting, I got out my new EMPI synchronizer.
bkrantz
I backed out the idle screw on the right intake to get the rpm down and airflow to 8.
bkrantz
And did the same on the left.
bkrantz
By this time, the "coolant" was pegging the default software setting--I need to change this.
bkrantz
But the stock oil temp gauge still has not risen.
bkrantz
Time for an updated "final" list. I know I said this before, but dry.gif
Cairo94507
Great progress- very cool software for the engine. beerchug.gif
djway
What "coolant" sensor do you use?
I have always been curious as to how head temp is adjusted for in the coolant portion of FI programming.
bkrantz
QUOTE(djway @ Feb 19 2022, 05:18 PM) *

What "coolant" sensor do you use?
I have always been curious as to how head temp is adjusted for in the coolant portion of FI programming.

Its a modified GM sensor (part of the Dub Shop kit). I am just starting on the learning curve--ask me again in a few months.
bkrantz
Still performing basic checks. The fuel pressure should be 43.5 psi--looks good on the gauge.
bkrantz
The temp gauge now is set for air-cooled head temps. I let it warm up a bit, running for about 15 minutes, and the head got to about 250°.
bkrantz
I need to work on my exhaust ducting. Its a long way to the outside.
bkrantz
And my aluminum dryer ducting is pretty fragile--and leaky.
bkrantz
And it gets chilly with the garage doors open, even on a warmer day like today.
bkrantz
Still no real response on the stock temp gauge.
bkrantz
Since everything in the EFI seems to be working, I worked on making the wires neater and tied down.
bkrantz
Not as surgical as @tygaboy , but better.
bkrantz
When I checked the tail pipe clearance after yesterday's hot-cold cycle, it was back where it was, and too close.
bkrantz
I used a jack to brace the rear of the heat exchangers, and then "leaned" on the tail pipe to induce a little bending.
bkrantz
I then adjusted the muffler bracket again. Better clearance (at least for now).
Cairo94507
@bkrantz Are you going to install a chrome tip? I had a stock chrome tip stretched on a pipe bending machine (Ben's) and then he welded to nuts onto it so I could secure it to the tailpipe. Looks stock and I love it. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 21 2022, 07:12 AM) *

@bkrantz Are you going to install a chrome tip? I had a stock chrome tip stretched on a pipe bending machine (Ben's) and then he welded to nuts onto it so I could secure it to the tailpipe. Looks stock and I love it. beerchug.gif

Interesting idea--do you have any photos?
djway
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 19 2022, 06:47 PM) *

Still no real response on the stock temp gauge.

Have you done the old grounding trick or does that not work on these gauges?
Cairo94507
@bkrantz - Here you go:

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
Thanks. Looks good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.