Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Badge from above. I know not everyone is a PCA fan, but I have been a member for 30 years, and enjoyed some good friendships and fun times.
bkrantz
Here are the rubber catches installed in the lower positions.
bkrantz
With the top in the trunk, the rear corners still have space above the tail light housings. The sides just make contact with the inner fenders.
bkrantz
I did some fine tuning on the position and length of the latch pin.
bkrantz
And the position of the latch, with a couple of washers. I did make sure the latch would still release before closing the lid.
bkrantz
So, here we go: top panel in the trunk.
bkrantz
And the trunk lid closes without a fuss.
bkrantz
Before I closed things up, I attached the USB cable for the Megasquirt ECU.
bkrantz
But can't leave it on the trunk floor, so I made a quick hook.
Puebloswatcop
Wow Bob, things are really moving along now. Glad you didn't set fire to the car welding those brackets, that might have been a bit of a setback lol-2.gif Looking good.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jun 17 2022, 06:54 AM) *

Wow Bob, things are really moving along now. Glad you didn't set fire to the car welding those brackets, that might have been a bit of a setback lol-2.gif Looking good.

Yeah, I definitely took some short cuts in cutting and welding with minimal disassembly. And I set only about a dozen little spot fires from the splatter (and one larger bit of towel fire).

I could say that next time I build a 914 I will put it completely together before painting to check every one of a thousand details, and then take it all apart. But probably not.
bkrantz
I finally tacked the trim today. I guess I was a little nervous about if and how it might fit. I did know that the joint pieces were not a perfect fit, but I decided against trying to adjust that.
bkrantz
I assembled the complete frame and did one more session of bending and degree of insertion into all the joints to get everything lined up.
bkrantz
I figured one of the upper corners was the place to start, since the position is determined by the angle of both the trim piece and the frame. I snapped the trim into the two closest clips.
bkrantz
Then I snapped in the other upper corner, and worked my way across the top, inward from both corners.
bkrantz
At the bottom, I started in the middle, and then worked towards both lower corners, since the slip joints there made it easy to adjust lengths.
bkrantz
I ended at the lower right corner.
bkrantz
Here's the complete trim in place. Now things are looking fancy.
bkrantz
My fancy, high tech almost hidden FM antenna.
bkrantz
Stuck to the inside of the glass. Later we can listen to some tunes. Or the weather band, which might be more useful in a 914.
bkrantz
Then, I got out the wipers. New arms and new blades.
bkrantz
Bent arm goes on the right, right?
bkrantz
I put the blades on the arms, and then the arms on the spindles. To check the alignment, I ran the wipers. In order to avoid scraping the dry rubber on the glass, I used the plastic bags the arms came in.
bkrantz
Here's my set alignment.
bkrantz
The correct 340mm (13.5") blades sure look small.
bkrantz
I checked my clock again, and given that it lost no time since yesterday, I closed the center panel.
bkrantz
Really almost done.
bkrantz
I did get out the interior rear view mirror, which needs a bit of cleanup before installation.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
bkrantz
Before mounting the mirror, I want to make sure it will clear the visors, so I got out my new repro pair from 914 Rubber. The car came with just a left visor. It might be original, but the foam inside has turned into dust.
bkrantz
I also got out the mounting hardware. Some was on the car, other pieces I got from various sources, plus a new set. Let's go with that, so everything matches.
bkrantz
I started with the center mount.
bkrantz
Then the right visor and mount.
bkrantz
Followed by the left visor and mount. I then adjusted the tension on the visor clamp screws.
bkrantz
Visors on.
bkrantz
Cross that off the list.
bkrantz
Then start checking mirror position. I am a bit concerned because the stock mirror arm does not adjust for height. As a tall guy, I want the mirror above my sightline out the windshield. But I know it must be low enough to see out the back window, below the targa bar, and low enough to clear the visors.
bkrantz
Before mounting, the mirror needs some work. The PO (of this mirror) used glue for mounting.
bkrantz
After shaving and dissolving off the glue, the mounting base still looks pretty nasty. What do yo think the PO was up to?
bkrantz
I was able to sand out most of the scratches.
bkrantz
Meanwhile, I noticed that the stud from the mirror ball joint wobbles a bit in the arm.
bkrantz
Perhaps a bit of penetrating Loctite will fix that. Find out tomorrow.
bkrantz
The Loctite worked, and the mirror arm has no play, so time to install it.
bkrantz
I marked the center, and the stock height.
bkrantz
I removed the arm from the base, and stuck on the adhesive pad.
bkrantz
I mounted the base just a bit higher than spec, just enough to provide clearance for the right visor to swing through to the inside of the windshield.
bkrantz
But after pushing as hard as I dared, I could not get the entire base adhered. Essentially the base is too flat to match the curve of the glass. I did sand the base, but even before that is was flat.

Argh. I will order another adhesive pad, and try again after I sand a bit of a curve into the base.
bkrantz
Anyway, the mirror is stuck on for now. The position still seems OK, at least as far as I can tell sitting in the car in the garage.
bkrantz
So...that's it. Last part attached to the car, except for some tiny bits and trim things. I will say:

Assembly Is Done!!!

piratenanner.gif
bkrantz
Of course, still lots to do before I can claim that overall the car is done (if ever). So here's the next set of lists.

Next up, I need to check and bleed the brakes again. When I drove the car out and into the garage to get some sun on the windshield last week, the pedal felt a bit soft, and also pumped up firmer after a two strokes. I figure I should have more confidence in the brakes before the first test drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.