Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
And worked the control box plus vent into place. Another tight fit.
bkrantz
With the special retaining bolt (flat-plate head with a rolled edge on one side--sorry, I did not get a picture) inserted from above, I slipped the distributor baffle on, from under the dash, and nutted it in place. My car had only one retaining nut per side, so I will need to track down two more.
bkrantz
I then started on the right side control box, and connected the cables that sync it with the left box. Note: in my first attempt I installed the box reversed front to back--THIS PHOTO SHOWS THE BOX WRONG.
bkrantz
While attaching the right vent with the spring clips, one got away from me and magically fell into this hole. headbang.gif
bkrantz
After a brief bit of swearing, I was able to fish it out with my magnet probe.
bkrantz
Then I attached the vent and got the box plus vent into place. This side was even tighter.
bkrantz
About here I figured out I had the right control box reversed front to rear, and had to undo the vent and cable connections, and start over. After that I got it reconnected and then installed. I adjusted all the cable settings on the left control box so all the baffles fully opened and closed. Eventually I will see if I did it right.

Note in this photo the right box is correct.
Puebloswatcop
Bob,

You could try to drop that clip into that hole 100 times and you would miss 99...lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one that has those brief swearing moments.
ElCee
QUOTE(ElCee @ Mar 12 2021, 01:20 AM) *
You better paint these two spots black.

Aren't there a couple of plastic vent outlets that fit in there? confused24.gif

In my 1970 orange 914, I can look at the body color through some holes near the air vents. In the case of my car, the factory had already painted these two places black, so that the body color was not discernable in the black dashboard.
I reckon this would be particularly noticeable with a yellow body.
I attached a photo of one of an other members and added a circle where the opening is what I am referring to.Click to view attachment

Groet, ElCee
bkrantz
QUOTE(ElCee @ Mar 17 2021, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ElCee @ Mar 12 2021, 01:20 AM) *
You better paint these two spots black.

Aren't there a couple of plastic vent outlets that fit in there? confused24.gif

In my 1970 orange 914, I can look at the body color through some holes near the air vents. In the case of my car, the factory had already painted these two places black, so that the body color was not discernable in the black dashboard.
I reckon this would be particularly noticeable with a yellow body.
I attached a photo of one of an other members and added a circle where the opening is what I am referring to.Click to view attachment

Groet, ElCee

I do like the idea, but it probably will not happen on my car. The transition from test fitting the dash to final (I hope) installation went quickly, as did the vent installation. Maybe next time!
bkrantz
More air system work, with the replacement hoses from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
Short hoses for center air box to controllers. Right side.
bkrantz
And left side.
bkrantz
Then the feed hoses from the long tubes. A bit tricky to feed them through the new rubber grommets.
bkrantz
Attached to the long outlet.
bkrantz
Then time for the drain tube.
bkrantz
Pretty easy to put together, and push the hose onto the fittings. I made sure the cross piece slopes down to the T.
bkrantz
Outlet under car.
bkrantz
But I failed to get the hose clamp rings on properly. The hose OD might be too big.
bkrantz
I also tried my plan for this stuff: black vinyl welting, with a 1/4 inch round edge.
bkrantz
I was not happy with the fit between the new dash top and the vinyl. It looks worse here since I have the dash top attachment bolts loosened.
bkrantz
Here's my idea: use the welting between the dash top and the padded vinyl.
bkrantz
To make the end of the welting dive into the corner, I split about an inch and cut the internal cord.
bkrantz
That makes for a flattened end. I also notched the segments that will bend around the cowl corners.
bkrantz
With the dash top loose, I was able to sneak the welting flap into the gap.
bkrantz
Where I could reach, I added a bit of all-purpose glue.
bkrantz
I then straightened the welting and tightened the dash top bolts. I like it.
bkrantz
The sides of the cowl look much better.
bkrantz
One last bit of exploration today. I will install a washer pump, and somehow live without the OE clever method of using the spare tire as a pressure source.
bkrantz
One possible location: under the washer reservoir.
bkrantz
This could work.
dlee6204
Nice fix on the dash. Looks good!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 17 2021, 06:45 PM) *

This could work.

Bob,

I will have to look to see where my electric pump is located on the /6. I'm not sure where it is.
FlacaProductions
i believe I've seen them in this general area - with the little rubber nipple/insulators showing in the area above the footwell in the cabinClick to view attachment
raynekat
Good use of the welting on your instrument cluster. Nice
DRPHIL914
i will be doing this soon too, so very interested to see where you mount this and also how you wire it. only difference is I already installed the Carmagic switch in the steering column , the new switch is activated by the same lever that turned on the original system. so that has to be wired to the pump, but everything else would be the same. where will you take the pump wire and relay to, meaning which fuse will you connect it to?
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 17 2021, 08:32 PM) *

Good use of the welting on your instrument cluster. Nice

Thanks, Doug. I am much happier now with the replacement dash top. I even like the look of the welting as an extra design detail.
bkrantz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 17 2021, 08:09 PM) *

i believe I've seen them in this general area - with the little rubber nipple/insulators showing in the area above the footwell in the cabinClick to view attachment

Thanks, Brian. Before I drill and dress new holes I might try some industrial double-side tape. The location I proposed might work better for that since the surface is planar.
bkrantz
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 18 2021, 07:21 AM) *

i will be doing this soon too, so very interested to see where you mount this and also how you wire it. only difference is I already installed the Carmagic switch in the steering column , the new switch is activated by the same lever that turned on the original system. so that has to be wired to the pump, but everything else would be the same. where will you take the pump wire and relay to, meaning which fuse will you connect it to?

I also installed the Carmagic switch, and added a connector and wires for the pump to the harness. Check earlier in my thread for how I did that.
bkrantz
I trimmed the leads for the pump and crimped on new connectors. I did add an insulating cover to the positive lead.

The power lead comes from the fuse block, and the ground feeds through the new Carmagic switch I installed in the column.
bkrantz
For now, I installed the pump with double-side auto adhesive. I want to test operations before drilling any holes.
euro911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 17 2021, 05:41 PM) *
I then straightened the welting and tightened the dash top bolts. I like it.

IPB Image
Looks great ... kind of how finishing a room with crown molding does beerchug.gif
raynekat
Bob's car now has "crown moulding."
Kind of like that. wink.gif
bkrantz
As long as its not Crown Vic moulding.
raynekat
I'm just sorry you didn't pick the pink/white motif instead of your yellow....seriously. tongue.gif
euro911
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 23 2021, 06:00 PM) *
As long as its not Crown Vic moulding.
A friend modified his turquoise/white 2-door '55 station wagon with the 'Crown Vic' treatment to match his dad's Crown Vic... possibly the only 'Vic Wagon' in existence (?) confused24.gif

He sold it years ago, but I'll see if I can get a pic or two of it from him ...
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 23 2021, 08:41 PM) *

I'm just sorry you didn't pick the pink/white motif instead of your yellow....seriously. tongue.gif

Only real men can drive pink.
bkrantz
Had some more deliveries, so caught up with a few things.

Here's a 30mm hole in the dash, that I think is where the original washer fluid lines passed through.
bkrantz
It took a couple of tries, but eventually I found some 30mm blanking grommets.
bkrantz
Installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.